Help! I think I've found a worm!!!

• 3 Replies

Mildredsmum

Help! I think I've found a worm!!!
« on: September 27, 2010, 15:33 »
And not the ones that are good for the garden....just noticed this previous thread:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
Today my chickens were having a wander around the garden and I noticed one had done the mustard coloured poop common every 10 poops (!) but then I noticed this horrible white worm looking thing, not dissimilar in shape to the worms on the worm diagram on the thread above. It was bright white in colour, not moving and when I prodded it with a stick (!) it felt hard. I've not noticed any in their poops so far and I;ve only had them just over a week. They were previously kept in a large flock. My questions are, it is common for only one worm to be present? Can they be transmitted to dogs and people and how do I get hold of Flubenvet or which ever wormers can be used and the eggs still safely be eaten? Do I need to worm them? They seem happy in themselves. Many thanks.

Casey76

Re: Help! I think I've found a worm!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 15:39 »
Flubenvet is a very safe chemical wormer.  You can buy it online or at your vet (online will proably be cheaper).  When you are using it you can still eat the eggs i.e. there is no "egg withdrawal"

If a hen is passing worms in her faeces then it is likely she has a very high worm burden, and she may start to get sick (lose weight, become lethargic and withdrawn).

Always worm all your hens at the same time. :)

Mildredsmum

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 15:49 »
Hi Casey76,
Thanks for that, have just rang the vet and they have it in stock but the receptionist needs to speak to the vet first...would rather get it sooner rather than waiting for delivery.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 16:13 »
Hi and welcome. I rang my vet for flubenvet and the cost was £37 i think, for a 60 gram 1% tub, so i'v ordered mine online the cost is £14.27 and free next day delivery,  from Animalmedicine. co.uk, you dont need a prescription for it.

xx
Found a worm :(

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 15:24
by newChickenMummy
xx
should I re worm ?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 21:04
by SoniaBA
xx
how often should you worm?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 19:31
by jobson336
xx
Should i worm now?

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 22:26
by HENrietta

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 39 queries.