help with Mantis please.

• 6 Replies

Spana

help with Mantis please.
« on: April 26, 2012, 16:57 »
Been given a very nice pressie of a new deluxe Mantis. :happy:

We've put it together this afternoon and started it up.

We seem to have a problem with the tines, they start going as soon as you start the engine, the throttle lock and trigger on the handle dont seem to do anything. :unsure:

Have we done something wrong, is they something we should have done and haven't,anyone else had this problem?

Have telephoned Mantis but there wont be anyone there who can help until tomorrow afternoon. Thought someone here may have some experience with them.   I hope i dont have to send it back, cant face taking it all apart again and packing it up. All a bit disappointing :(

Be very grateful for any help and advice :)

thanks

Spana

Re: help with Mantis please.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 17:47 »
Oh dear, since i asked, OH has had a look at it and says it has a faulty and extremely dangerous carburetor. :(

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 23:23 »

I haven't got a new mantis , mine several years old.

Its got a sequential clutch, which means the tines shouldn't turn until the throttle cable is

pulled .

Check if the throttle cable is too tight,which could be why the tines are turning straight

away,if so you may be able to loosen off.

Keep Hands and Feet well away from tines when starting.

Carl

Spana

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13 »
Thanks Carl,

We've spoken to Mantis who said it has to go back, which is a right pain after putting it all together. It is really dangerous  >:( Almost chopped up the dog :ohmy:  >:(

I didn't like the attitude of the women who answered the phone and after a bit of, ummm, lets say discussion, they agreed to send a new one out straight away and to pick this one up on Monday. :(

Not too impressed so far but hopefully that will change when the new ones comes and i get to try it out :)

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36 »
It's a pity you have had a bad experience with the Mantis, as they are usually a good machine and a good company.
I hope you have better luck when the next one arrives!

mikeimp

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 14:00 »
Sorry to hear about your Mantis but pleased to hear things are being sorted out for you.I have a new one ,had it now about 3 months and used it about 4 times.Starts fine and after leaving the engine to turn over for about a minute I then pull in the clutch and off it goes, works every time.The only query I had is that when I took the blades off to clean them they appeared to be on a shaft that has a lot of sideways movement.I contacted Mantis and the tech chap said that I should have some play in the shaft but if it gets worse to contact them.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 22:47 »
After my bad start with the stroppy lady on the other end of the phone at Mantis I managed to get a very helpful chap the next time.
The whole lot was repacked-what a pain-and sent back and a replacement was here the same day. It went a long way with improving my opinion of Mantis.

The new machine works brilliant, I'm so in love with it ::) Its a lot more powerful than i thought it would be and starts really easily and it does a good jod.
Thanks for reminding me with your post mikeimp, i've been meaning to say how good a Mantis is even tho i had a bad start with it. :happy:

xx
Mantis

Started by mick on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2006, 06:02
by Gwiz
xx
We're getting a Mantis.

Started by Goneterseed on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 23:34
by Goneterseed
xx
mantis/?

Started by mrsbean on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 15:54
by mrsbean
xx
Using a Mantis.

Started by Welsh Merf on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 14:25
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.