Liquers / spirits

• 14 Replies

bearhugger1972

• my blog
Liquers / spirits
« on: May 18, 2012, 00:48 »
A long time ago (20 odd years) I tried some home brew liqueur which was very nice but was terrific 'sleep juice' ie a few 'shots' ended up knocking you right out for the night. As far as spirits go i usually only drink malt whiskies occasionally. just wonderedwhat others drank  /brewed?
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
Re: Liquers / spirits
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 21:28 »
Sloe gin is one I make fairly regularly, although now generally in larger batches every other year.  And with at least one bottle made with Muscovado or a similar dark, treacly sugar (very mellow after a year maturing).

Last year I invented a new one for me that I'll definitely try again.  I steeped quartered fresh figs in rum for about 8 weeks.  The figs were removed and eaten with mascarpone and honey.  I then filtered the rum, dosed it up with with sugar and added a half-teaspoon of vanilla paste.  This year I'll add the sugar at the start and a vanillla pod.

Ten days or so ago I started a beech leaf noyau.  This is a new recipe for me.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 17:11 »
I've not tried homebrewing any liquers or spirits yet (I'm still a novice) but do enjoy a malt whisky.  There's a bottle of Ardbeg in the cabinet waiting for a good excuse to pop the cork ;)

My GF likes a sloe gin so could you recommend a tried and tested recipe I could try Alastair?
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 17:49 »

Sloe gin - nothing could be easier.

Pick your sloes AFTER a good frost, prick each one, do NOT cut with a knife, half fill a glass (if you can find one) sweety jar and top up with GOOD gin.  Don't forget, rubbish in - rubbish out.  Add a few drops of Almond essence.

Cover the sweety jar with cling film and then screw on the top.  Keep the jar in the airing cupboard and give it a good shake every day (or as often as you go in there).  Three months later strain off the sloes and bottle the sloe gin.

Forget about it for 4 - 5 years.    Easy peasy.

Cheers,    Tony.

A
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 19:35 »
Our list includes limoncello, sloe gin, winter warmer gin (sloes with cloves) raspberry vodka, blackberry brandy and plum vodka

Lucky they all keep for ages  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:08 »
My GF likes a sloe gin so could you recommend a tried and tested recipe I could try Alastair?

Pick the sloes, preferably after a good frost but the last couple of years the first frost for us has been rather late.  You could drop a bag of picked sloes into the freezer overnight.

I don't bother pricking the sloes myself, others do.

1/2-2/3 fill your clean jars with sloes (I use Kilner type jars).  Fill around the sloes with sugar to about 1/2-2/3 the depth of the sloes.  You can use white sugar or a heavy demerrara type.  Dark sugar will give a rich caramel flavour.

Measurements are not critical.

Fill the jars with gin. Leave in a dark place for 3 months.  Shake every day for the first week, and then afterwards when you remember.

Strain into bottles.

You can (in theory) have sloe gin ready for Christmas the same year, but it's better the following year.  If you want it ready quicker use white sugar, dark sugar needs several months to mellow and for the slight bitter note that dark sugar introduces to fade away.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 12:57 »
Thanks for the Sloe Gin recipe advice guys!  Sounds like I'd be best throwing a few jars together with a variety of white/dark sugar so I can stagger opening the finished bottles and appreciate the extra maturity in time.  I'll just need to find a big enough sloe hedge/tree in my area before winter with an owner up for some trading...

Has anyone tried a chilli vodka in the past?  I have six cayenne plants coming along nicely so may give that a try too if I have an abundance.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 13:06 »
Has anyone tried a chilli vodka in the past? 

Oh yes... I did mine with hot lemon pepper, best to dehydrate the peppers first otherwise things taste 'green'. It didn't float my boat and was reduced to little more than a BBQ gimmick.  As always though - try everything once, otherwise you'll never know if you like it  ::)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 13:25 »
Thanks for the Sloe Gin recipe advice guys!  Sounds like I'd be best throwing a few jars together with a variety of white/dark sugar so I can stagger opening the finished bottles and appreciate the extra maturity in time.  I'll just need to find a big enough sloe hedge/tree in my area before winter with an owner up for some trading...

Has anyone tried a chilli vodka in the past?  I have six cayenne plants coming along nicely so may give that a try too if I have an abundance.
Do not leave the peppers in for to long, as it will become almost undrinkable. Friend of mine left a couple of scotch bonnets in for 14 hours, he passed a hip flask of it round the campfire with some really heavy drinkers, and it came back almost untouched.  :D which is rare, I passed a full bottle of raspberry whisky round and it came back empty, and that was after finishing off a wheelbarrow stacked high with beer  :lol:
small scale gardener, large scale eater

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 19:47 »
Not tried raspberry whisky  :nowink:

and I'll pass on the chilli vodka I think, thank you  :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 22:19 »
Quince Eau de Vie. Grated quinces, sugar, vodka. Not too sweet with a dry aftertaste - fabulous.  :)
http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/quinceea.htm
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 22:31 »
Quince Eau de Vie. Grated quinces, sugar, vodka. Not too sweet with a dry aftertaste - fabulous.  :)
http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/quinceea.htm

Now that does sound rather good -- I'll have to beg some quinces from my plot-friend again  ;)

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 13:08 »
I've just bottled the beech leaf noyau (using the Andy Hamilton recipe) I started three weeks ago.  A quick taste during bottling and I have to say it's very, very nice.  Difficult to decribe the flavour, and it's a lovely pale golden-green colour.

It's definitely going onto the Spring must-do list - but the window of opportunity is quite short, I suspect it's already too late for anyone to start this year.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 14:44 »

Try and track down a bottle of this 'stuff'
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/drinkscoffeetea/a/arak.htm :ohmy:

Even better than siddique (sid for short).    Cheers,    Tony.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 15:31 »

Try and track down a bottle of this 'stuff'
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/drinkscoffeetea/a/arak.htm :ohmy:

Even better than siddique (sid for short).    Cheers,    Tony.

But in the spirit of the thread.. how do you make it?

xx
Fermenting spirits

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 07:24
by Thrift
xx
spirits still fermenting

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 10:13
by mike1987
xx
homemade spirits

Started by hotterotter on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 13:14
by muntjac

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.