Chooks have come home to roost !!

• 8 Replies

Kel of the Kirk clan

« on: January 18, 2009, 21:22 »
We have collected our ex batts today our oldest daughters are so chuffed, beaks weren't clipped so mummy had painted a horrible picture so they'd be prepared for no reason!!  Some of the girls are a little thin on the feather front but with some TLC they'll be fine I am sure!!  my hubby has been rosey over them the most.  They are settled in the henhouse and  we have already laid 4 eggs although one was soft - perhaps someone can let me know if this is anything to worry about.  Also is there anything we should medicate them for anything?  Will try to get some pics uploaded.

Thanks to everyone for their intial advice I am sure we will have more questions.   :oops:

But it has already given the whole family a sense of acheivement and been a joy and we only picked them up at 11 this morning!!

:lol:
Kel
Smile and the world will smile with you !! :lol:

WR1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 21:25 »
Congrats.

Not sure about the soft egg sorry.

Cant wait for the pics :D

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 21:36 »
She could be a little short in calcium, make sure they have access to some crushed oyster shell.  :D

Doubt if they need medicating X batts are pumped full of the stuff to keep them "healthy" in the close surroundings .
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

coopready

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 21:36 »
congrats  im sure they will bring lots of pleasure mine do  the granchildren love watching them and feeding them tit bits and wandering round the pen and talking to them great fun to watch  good luck to you all
look after your girls and they will look after you

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 21:52 »
Great news Kel. :)

I think the advice sometimes is to offer them a bit of (non-chicken) cat food to boost their protein levels for feather regrowth.

have you had all the advice about feeding?

Rob

Kel of the Kirk clan

X batts home to roost
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 17:03 »
Thanks everyone !!

No rob I haven't much advice on feeding if you have got some all advice is appreciated!!

We have given them Layers pellets, some mixed corn as a treat both for the chooks and kids to do after school and grit and oyster shell which we put straight down  its in about 1" pieces ish.  Although girls seem to enjoy smashing it up!! :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 19:03 »
Ex-batts are generally used to layers mash and won't touch pellets btu if yours have tucked in, all the better ! :)
Most popular regime is to give them access to pellets all the time so they can help themselves ad-lib.
Mixed corn and other high calorie foods should be used as a treat to be offered late afternoon for them to slowly digest overnight and only a small handful each.
Greens can be given daily instead of/as well as grass.

If there is any food left out on the ground overnight, you're likely to attract rats, so best to clean up any spills but I leave the hanging feederfull of pellets out and it's not been touched so far. But the run is fairly rat-resistant.

Any questions, shout up. There's lots of experts on here, but if not, I'll try to answer  :roll:  :)

Rob 8)

Kel of the Kirk clan

x batts home to roost
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 20:31 »
Thanks for that,  we went with pellets as the really friendly man @ BHWT advised it is easier to put them straight onto it and he has for years and never had problem!!  perhaps something for others to bear in mind as a peice of info?? Although we did ask him about mash.

The girls don't seem bothered by it at all and although being kept indoors for the few days most of them seem to be enjoying their bigger home and already foraging and scratting about in the bedding, I just can't wait to see them outside roaming and scratting around!

linzechris

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 22:18 »
Hi, I have ex battery hens and they have given me such joy :) but also a few tears and anxious moments but it is all worth it :D This site is fantastic as everyone is so friendly and do their best to help and give you a bit of support and a laugh when you most need it :D
Congratulations on getting your chickens, I'm sure that you will never look back and will be addicted to them. :)
Christine J Jeavons

xx
Building a home for chooks...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 19:59
by mickwood
xx
suitable home for winter chooks?

Started by Totty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 17:32
by Totty
xx
My chickens don't roost

Started by hendreary on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 19:20
by hillfooter
xx
Getting chickens to roost on bar

Started by purpletart on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 17:32
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 38 queries.