Debris netting or Ikea netting?

• 7 Replies

Yana

Debris netting or Ikea netting?
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:52 »
Ive got two old metal frame gazebo's and want to use them for netting my brassicas and have some debris netting (scaffolding netting) and also Ikea net curtains. The debris netting is green and closely woven but does have 2cm slits every now and again, whereas the Ikea netting is white and is very closely woven.
Which is the better one to use?

:( ??? :mellow:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

m1ckz

Re: Debris netting or Ikea netting?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58 »
ive only used the scaffold net,,,i does the job for me,

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:01 »
The curtaining is better because of the lack of holes but the debris netting is designed for outdoor use so will last longer. I have used debris netting for the last 3 year's and have no problem's re. the holes.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26 »
Ive got two old metal frame gazebo's and want to use them for netting my brassicas and have some debris netting (scaffolding netting) and also Ikea net curtains. The debris netting is green and closely woven but does have 2cm slits every now and again, whereas the Ikea netting is white and is very closely woven.
Which is the better one to use?

:( ??? :mellow:

That's how I've built my pea and brassica cage, though I used the top of one gazebo to join the two bases to create three and now have 27 m2 of caged area. I have used a mixture of rabbit fencing and insect proof netting with the rabbit fencing used around the bottom. For three reasons:

1. The rabbit fencing lets in small birds to pick off caterpillars - people have been caught out on the plot by Brassica moths which overwinter in the soil.

2. The rabbit fencing adds strength to the structure.

3. The rabbit fencing cuts down the "windbreak effect" of the netting.

Even before this weekend's storms, and even given that I have buried the legs over a foot deep, the ground is so wet that last week's stiff breezes made the frames lean.

Can't wait to get up today and see if everything is still standing.  :(

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:11 »
Just out of interest Yana, how much is the Ikea netting? I have a bit of voile material I use to net my blueberries and small cherry tree, it is easy to get on and off and doesn't get stuck on the branches, and the birds can't get their feet stuck in it. I am thinking of getting lots more to cover currants and things this year, so need to source something cheap.
Rachael

Yana

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:33 »
The Ikea netting was £3.99 for two pieces 3m X2m

monkeygee

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 14:53 »
depends on what u want to keep out , the curtains are better as they will keep out butterflies but may not last long , other to that if you want to keep out pigeons then the debris net is good enough , ive been using butterfly netting from harrod horticultural bought of the roll and lasts a lot longer
know a little but learn a lot every day

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 18:51 »
Neither if possible.

Depending on what you are trying to protect, netting doesn't last as others say, so if bought for the purpose it would have to be replaced regularly.
Debris netting has its drawbacks, although it is cheap and durable it keeps out ladybirds and lacewings, which are major predators of Aphids. It is too open to prevent flea beetle, which are devastating to radish and turnip.
Butterfly netting is durable and will keep out pigeons and butterflies if tucked in properly, great for brassica. Enviromesh will prevent nearly all flying/crawling pests, great for pristine salads, carrots, but it does not do much for pests already in the ground. 
The correct barriers will do the job and should go the distance, I expect at least eleven seasons from my netting, possibly more making it cost effective for me.
 :)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Debris Netting

Started by southwells farm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 12:33
by PennyS
smiley
Debris netting

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 20:10
by viettaclark
xx
debris netting

Started by withnail on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:41
by Jeanieblue
xx
debris netting

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 23:26
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.