wood pigeon rescipe please?

• 7 Replies

muntjac

« on: January 06, 2007, 11:58 »
shot a few birds yesterday so how would you serve them?, and anybody know a fail safe way of not having tough roasted  birds?
still alive /............

Puff

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 13:31 »
I don't know what this might do to the rich flavour of wood pigeon, but pineapple is a good way of tenderising meat that might be a bit tough.  It's got an amino acid in it called bromelain, which works to break down the meat fibres.  If you put the birds on a rack to roast, put a bit of water in the bottom and some pineapple juice and pieces, cover with a tent of tin foil, that might just tenderise them a bit, as the steam will carry the bromelain up into the meat

shaun

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 14:06 »
you can dunk the whole thing in boiling water for a few minutes to change the colour of the meat then give it a quick roast in the oven on a high heat until the skin is browned off.
as for pigeon i like just the breasts fried with diced liver and onions ,they only need a few minutes though.a goodserving of that and a big pile of mashed carrot n swede and you will sleep like baby (nice supper) :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Puff

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 14:08 »
Found this recipe which I did a few years ago.  I think it originally came from a Two Fat Ladies recipe book, but not sure as it's written in my scribble. I served it with runner beans and some game chips which I made out of thinly sliced parsnips, seasoned then deep fried (don't fry 'em too long, they burn)

Pigeon Breasts with Honey & Ginger:

8 pigeon breasts
2 oz butter
juice of half a lemon
salt & freshly ground pepper

For the sauce:
3oz sugar
1/4 pint of water
4oz stem ginger
2 tablespoons of runny honey

For the sauce, dissolve the sugar in the water and boil for 4 mins with no stirring.
Pulverise the ginger, add the honey, blend until smooth.

Heat the butter in a frying pan until it's foamy,
Add the breasts and cook for about 3 mins each side
Add 4 tablespoons of the sauce and cook for another minute
Remove the breasts, slice and fan out on warm plates
Add lemon juice to the pan and cook until the sauce is syrupy
Pour the sauce over the breasts on the plate.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 14:14 »
now that looks yum ty puff

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 03:10 »
What I do with woodpigeons is cut the breasts off, chop them them up into cubes, roll them in seasoned flour and then fry them with bacon and onion....lovely

Spinny

snozzer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 09:11 »
Quote from: "spinny"
What I do with woodpigeons is cut the breasts off, chop them them up into cubes, roll them in seasoned flour and then fry them with bacon and onion....lovely

Spinny

Thats about one of the best ways,  I did partridge last night 8 breast for 4 people, cut the breasts into bite size pieces marinate the meat in a cup of red wine with a couple of crushed garlic gloves for an hour or 2 at room temp.

Prepare some caramlised onions, roast root vegetables and creamed potato.  Then get a wok type pan and heat a good knob of butter in it until it smokes just a little, then chuck the meat and all the marinade in.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes stirring constantly.  Remove the meat from the pan and leave the wine/juices in the pan but off the heat.  Add a dollop of creme fraiche tot he pan and stir into make a cream sauce (apply very gently heat and stir constantly or it will seperate).

Serve the meal pouring the sauce over the served meat.
As guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

king cauli

• Experienced Member
pigeon
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 17:07 »
try catching younger birds,older birds taste tougher,failing that ,papaya seeds are a great tenderiser without adding any flavours,if wild birds hang them for a couple of days if tame cook them at once,cook delicate pigeons in a covered baking dish on a slow roast,when very young and tender they may be split and grilled,waffle ,waffle,waffle
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.