sweetcorn

• 12 Replies

Beetroot queen

sweetcorn
« on: April 15, 2010, 17:01 »
My corn started indoors are doing lovely they will be ready to go out in another 7 to 10 days

Did I mess up or will they be okay  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 17:08 »
little bit early maybe, have you got any pop bottles to go over them for a while, or fleece....just worrying if we have more late frosts  :unsure:..but you are further south, just keep an eye on the night temps.

Good luck with them :D

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 19:36 »
my sweetcorn came up today, i only planted it 4 days ago. i noticed it this morning and by dinner time it had doubled its size  :ohmy:

plot6b

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:10 »
my sweetcorn came up today, i only planted it 4 days ago. i noticed it this morning and by dinner time it had doubled its size  :ohmy:
Blackcap whats your secret ? I'm still waiting for mine after two weeks.

UrbanG

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23 »
My sweetcorn which I started on the 20/03 in paper pots on the kitcen window sill are about 3 to 4" high now.
Are they ready to go outside under pop bottles yet?
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36 »
eek I haven't started mine yet.  Was going to do it this weekend. :blink:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 15:59 »
Blackcap whats your secret ? I'm still waiting for mine after two weeks.

well they were in an electric propagator which was on all the time and that was in my bedroom  :) but i think they are growing a bit fast  :(, i can't keep up with them  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 20:00 »
Sweetcorn, squash, courgettes, and beans are all not hardy plants.

We can get frosts up until early June in this country, so planting them out before then - particularly 6 weeks before then - is a massive risk.

The only thing I've started off so far this year is spuds.

We caution against over-early sowing for exactly this reason!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

prakash_mib

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 22:06 »
My corn started indoors are doing lovely they will be ready to go out in another 7 to 10 days

Did I mess up or will they be okay  :blush:
went to allotment yesterday and one guy has his house backyard opening towards allotment and I saw his sweetcorns hardening off in root trainers about 2 1/2 inch high already. so you are not very late I assume. for people of west country I would assume last frost would be around 3 week of may
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 23:41 »
plenty time to do another sowing of all the mentioned crops.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 23:43 »
Yep, I'm not sowing anything tender until bank holiday weekend

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 23:46 »
seriously i cant off hand think of any plant that cant be sown within the next 2-3 weeks.
loads of time left.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 12:13 »
I sowed Sweet Corn last year on 1st April in Richy Newspaper pots. They were soon ready for planting out (couldn't hold them back beyond 1st May to plant out by which time the roots had grown through into adjacent pots and I made a note that 3 weeks from sowing to planting was going to be enough this year.). Note that hardening off needs to start 2 weeks after sowing, maybe even a bit earlier, in order to be completed by 3 weeks from sowing (and hardening off will slow down the growth a bit!)

Planting on 1st May last gave me a struggle to keep the frost off them (with fleece), and the plants were much smaller than my later sowing (sown 6th May, planted out on 2nd June) presumably due to the colder conditions. They tasted OK though :)

I grew too many plans last year, so we had a glut of cobs, so this year I am sowing 6 every fortnight to spread out the crop - and hoping that 6 planted 3 across the bed will be enough to self-pollinate - once the second lot are planted they will probably help pollinate each other. This year I aim to make my last sowing around 1st June, maybe a bit earlier, as last year's 9th May sowing was all eaten up at the August bank holiday, so a later sowing will get me a bit beyond that.

Last year's 1st April sowing gave me my first cobs on 20th July, and the 9th May sowing was finished by 31st Aug.

This was for Swift F1 which is a short, fast maturing, super-sweet variety - other varieties may have a longer cropping cycle.

xx
Sweetcorn .

Started by rideandy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 19:24
by azubah
xx
sweetcorn

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 17:41
by Tattyanne456
xx
How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 10:37
by BumbleJo
xx
sweetcorn

Started by archies plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 12:29
by BarrowBoy

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 40 queries.