sweetcorn

• 12 Replies

purplebean

sweetcorn
« on: August 13, 2010, 13:29 »
I haven't grown sweetcorn before, actually I am growing baby corn rather than big ones. They are now all 4 or 5 feet tall and look strong and healthy but I can see no sign of any corn. Is this normal? and this may be a silly question but where should I be looking for signs of corn. I am assuming in a leaf axel as I can't see where else they could grow from

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 14:24 »
They should grow from the leaf axil and start just as a slightly thickened part, same colour as the stem  :)

Mostly you would have two, or maybe three per plant, and they are near the middle of the stem not the top
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 15:21 »
Top of the stem should be male flowerhead producing lots of pollen. Further down should be female flowers which swell into sweetcorn as their flowers turn brown.

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 15:26 »
If I'm not mistaken, I'm sure you harvest baby sweetcorn BEFORE the male flowers open and pollinate the cobs ... ?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 15:38 »
You pick them before they swell, but they don't appear until after the male tassel has appeared at the top :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 16:05 »
Our baby corn was pollinated and turned into big cobs  :ohmy: which are mediocre in flavour  :(

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 21:20 »
You probably need to start a new topic headed "When to harvest baby sweetcorn?" as nobody who has read this has ever grown it.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 22:08 »
Sweetcorn should be grown in blocks as it is wind pollinated. Once the male floewrs show at the top you should see the female parts developing in the leaf axils. I suppose they look a little 'sausage' like. Over time they (if pollinated) will swell. Once the silk tassels coming out the end of the 'sausages' the cobs should be ready. You can peel back a few leaves and dig a nail in a kernel, if the juice is milky then pick and eat, if it is clear then leave a little longer. Earwigs in the cobs are a good indicator they are ready as is evidence of mice nibbling. They never bother with under ripe corn!!
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 22:38 »
Done a bit of google as I was curious to know.

T&M site quote

Sweetcorn : Minor F1 (Mini Vegetable) 1 packet
…tiny corn cobs for Chinese cooking and casseroles. Harvest the delicious tiny, tasty sweetcorn cobs of Sweetcorn Minor fresh from your garden - so much tastier than the tinned variety. The baby corn of Sweetcorn Minor are harvested before pollination just as the 'silk tassels' begin to show.

Therefore logically you really want to avoid germination. That would mean that you can grow them in a single row or even single plants. I wonder if you should also cut off the male flowers to stop pollination?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 23:03 »
I agree pollination is not required..............as I said above Salmo
You pick them before they swell, but they don't appear until after the male tassel has appeared at the top

But that is the order in which corn seems to grow, that you don't see the cobs start to show until the tassel appears at the top  ;)

DandG

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 16:03 »
Tried to grow the mini pop variety last year, well spaced single row rather than block to prevent pollination but couldnt grow without them getting pollinated - as a result lots of the kernals swelled and tasted/looked awful.  Dont know if pollen was from our plant or the forests of corn on other plots blowing over.  This year grown Incredible F1 and it lives up to its name, now harvesting the 4th plant with loads still to go - lovely juicy and sweet, just not sure the butter is doing any good though.

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 16:16 »
bit off topic
I had slight a bit of problem of testing when to pick sweet corn. A week ago I pulled the shell and reached one of the corn and squeezed to see clear liquid. I left it and yesterday when I visited the same cob again there was a BIG grub eating it. All in all what I did was made an easy way by opening the shell for the grub.
Bad experience.
P.S.
pulled it off and called my OH to put a pan of water and went home to cook it immediately and had a nice corn on cob yesterday. first time ever!!!!
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 17:56 »
I grow mini corn for the kids. I break off the male flower when it forms - not so much to prevent pollination, but to prevent the pollen interfering with my "normal" corn. As such it can be grown in a row, or block, whatever space suits you best.

The cobs have to be picked very small. Its an art (that we definitely have NOT perfected) to get them at the stage where, once peeled, they will be big enough to eat but before they are too big. There is probably 2, maybe 3, days between just right and too big :(

My DW has the complete, 100%, answer though (as usual!)

"Why are you trying to grow Mini corn? the kids will just as happily eat normal corn, and the rest of us will only eat normal corn, stop wasting your time / space on Mini-corn".

So that's the solution for next year!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 18:09 by Kristen »

xx
Which sweetcorn.

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 21:12
by Urbanite
xx
sweetcorn

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 17:47
by flowerlady
xx
How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

65 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:50
by waddecar
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by montygti on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 08:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.