Best-flavoured shallots

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Best-flavoured shallots
« on: November 28, 2015, 10:50 »
Am going to try growing shallots again. I know there are round and banana-shaped ones, so what is the difference between them re- growing and harvesting; also would prefer one with a sweet taste for casseroles etc.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

oldgrunge

Re: Best-flavoured shallots
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 20:03 »
There is no difference between round and banana shape shallots as regards growing and harvesting. Having grown Red Sun and Golden Gourmet ( Round ) and Pesandor (banana ), Personally, I would say Pesandor has the best flavour, and stored better too !
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Flowertot

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 23:18 »
I grew Biztro and Mikor this year and the Biztro ones were bigger, much tastier and stored better. I would definitely grow them again - absolutely delicious roasted.

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:03 »
Some banana shallots can grow quite big. If you're looking for small onions you can just peel and use whole in casseroles, you might do well with a round shallot or even Paris Silverskin onions, which are deliciously sweet when not pickled but have the disadvantage of not storing that well. I grew them the year before last and bunged them whole in coq au vin on several occasions. Everyone (including a restaurant chef I was a bit scared of inviting round) asked what the secret ingredient was (apart from the wine, of course!).

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:14 »
I liked Biztro too for a round shallot, good flavour.   For a banana shaped one, I really like Longor.  It keeps very well indeed, much better than other shallots or onions I have tried.  It seems to be quite undemanding as to growing conditions too. I also like Zebrune, but have only grown that from seed. It is also a banana shallot, but gets much bigger than Longor, so I used it more like a very sweet onion when cooking.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:15 by AnneB »

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 21:05 »
Longor does very well for me too, and also seems to be ready earlier than other varieties if you want to use the bed for any following crops. It's preferred in the kitchen here too, as the banana shape is easier to handle/slice.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 09:43 »
Longor, Mikor and various other French shallots seem to be more dense than the round varieties and are liked by cooks for that and their flavour. Golden gourmay, red sun and other modern round types will probably give higher yields.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:42 »
Thanks all - most helpful. As my soil is a bit heavy and gets rather wet over winter, I'll try a couple of these varieties next spring.

xx
Which is the best flavoured garlic?

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 12:34
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Better flavoured leek.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 19:07
by NigelB
xx
mild flavoured sprouts

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 21:49
by Ice
xx
best flavoured small autumn cauli.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2021, 20:52
by Alank

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 36 queries.