Ive got a allotment!!!

• 29 Replies

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
Ive got a allotment!!!
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:22 »
Im SO Happy and Exited!!! I almost cried when the lady on the phone said i can have it!

There are rough stone paths and wooden raised beds under all the growth, will post more photos as I clear it.
Lotty1.jpg
Lotty2.jpg

MalcW

Re: Ive got a allotment!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:42 »
Congratulations! It looks like you've got some work to do, but if you clear it a bit at a time you've still got time to get some stuff planted up.

Keep the photos coming.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47 »
Here's wishing you loads of success, a great deal of good fresh-air and relaxation as well as lots of stress-free unwinding.

Take a small manageable bite at a time - stand back and enjoy.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:16 »
Congratulations on your plot! Phew - lorra work there, but who knows what you will uncover! Strim, cover, dig a little patch then get something easy in like beans or whatever you can sow or buy for now. Personally, I'd put a sign up saying "BEWARE! Here be lions (or dragons."  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26 »
Now the fun, and hard work, begins  :D

Take your time to enjoy it as you work at it  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:28 »
It will be so worth it, look through everyones pics as it shows what can be done it just takes hard work and time

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 13:06 »
Congratulations. There is nothing quite like a vegetable patch. I'm sure you'll have seriously rewarding fun. Good luck.

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 15:52 »
wow   good luck with that..hope you have a strong man lol  tc

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 16:03 »
Congratulations on getting your plot. Lots of hard work in store, but you will see the results of your labour, and the sense of achievement when you clear and plant your first bit is great. Don't try to do it all at once, just work steadily and you will get there. It can be helpful to cover areas with black plastic sheeting after strimming the weeds down, uncovering a section at a time for clearing and planting.

Remember, you'll have lots of time through the coming winter to spend clearing and digging ready for the spring, so anything you can do this season will be a bonus.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 22:14 »
Congratulations! That looks a lovely space and worth the wait. Hope you post more photos of your progress.  :)

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 06:14 »
Luckly, I have a 15 year old strapping son to help, it even got him off his xbox for a few hours yesterday!!

Gonna work on clearing half of it first, around the raised beds, get that all deweeded and dug over, sort out a compost heap then work on the rest over winter. Its only a minuets walk away which is so wonderfull! I can just nip over with my coffee.

My Cat even came over with us last night and had a explore.  Its not been touched for over a year but there are fruit bushes, strawberries, rows of onions, lots of herbs, a giant rhubarb (and a huge hole where someones helped themselves to a crown)  Its a very small set of allotments, only 8 plots and 4 of them belong to the same family so they've turned 4 plots into 1 big one. The one next to me has never been used so its more over grown than mine but there is loads of wildflowers and full of bees and insects.

Will have to find a shed and some sort of seating i think, theres a shed base so thats a start...

Just wish my grandfather was still alive so I could tell him, Some of my happist times as a kid were up Granddads Lotty  :)
SquittenLotty.jpg

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:17 »
Not sure if my photos are uploading or not..

They seem to be turning sideways now...
Start.jpg
Start2.jpg
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:19 by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage »

diospyros

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 06:36 »
Luckly, I have a 15 year old strapping son to help, it even got him off his xbox for a few hours yesterday!!

How'd you manage that then?  My fifteen year old would rather be seen dead than up the allotment!  He announced it was a stupid idea and we'd managed perfectly well without one, and when was I going to get rid of it.  I told him in that case he will be in charge of the housework from now on.

Those paths look a little ill-advised, they'll fill up with couch then break your ankle.  But hey, work with what you've got.  I would be using large quantities of sheet cardboard and grass cuttings/strimmings on the beds to smother the weeds, especially round the fruit bushes.  Harvest some rhubarb now!  I would dig the weeds out of one bed and transplant bits of the herbs into it rather than trying to weed round them where they currently are.  I might even go over the paths and haul out the biggest bits of stone to build a herb spiral.

Look forward to hearing updates!

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 06:55 »
There seems to be weed supressing fabric under the "paths"  but I will gravel over them and make them safer at some point, I have similer gravel paths in my garden but these are a bit big stoney and dangerous for my liking, the raised beds only cover aboout a third of the allotment but they seem in good nick so i'll use them.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 07:35 »
Congratulations it looks to be a lovely plot once you get rid of the grass. Now the hard work starts but you will so enjoy it all. Look forward to seeing more pics  :D

xx
new allotment

Started by mr dave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 12:01
by mr dave
xx
New allotment HELP!!!

Started by Janle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:02
by sunshineband
xx
new allotment

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 11:18
by Christine
xx
My noo allotment

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 21:06
by MJS

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 37 queries.