Swollen vent - worried about prolapse

• 3 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Swollen vent - worried about prolapse
« on: August 08, 2011, 19:50 »
Hi guys

After losing my little Doris to a prolapse only a week ago today I checked Bobby's vent tonight (she lays soft eggs every day since we got her 2 months ago) and the top of it is very swollen, nothing hanging out of it though and all very clean. I had a look and a feel around but couldn't feel anything and there was a soft egg in the coop as usual so I don't think she has an egg stuck.

Could this be the beginnings of a prolapse? What can I do?

She seems fine in herself, eating and drinking normally. She's always been scraggy looking since we got her a couple of months ago and is very bald and red on her bottom and tummy. When we first got them they had red mite and had been bedding on straw so we presumed this was the reason but her baldness has never got any better. The feathers she does have are improving in quality and her neck feathers are now quite shiny and plush.

They have access to grit and oyster shell and we give them a cabbage nearly every day, we use the smallholders layers pellets (bag with yellow writing) and they have veg scraps, fruit and corn/wheat as treats in moderation.

I gave her some crushed baked egg shells mixed with a little olive oil and some fishy cat food tonight but not sure what else I should do.

We don't have any prep H or anusol, could I use Bepanthan or olive oil instead to rub on her vent? Would this help?

I'm so scared of her going the same way as Doris  :(

Cheers
Liz x

bantam novice

Re: Swollen vent - worried about prolapse
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 20:13 »
No advice, I'm afraid.  Just wanted to wish you luck with Bobby.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 22:28 »
Thanks Bantam, she was the same today but luckily still active and lively.

Does anyone have any advice?

stef Batterbee

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:54 »
I had a hen with prolapse a couple of months ago, I was given some great advice on here so happy to pass it on. Her vent was very red and swollen but I wouldnt say anything was 'hanging out' as such. I bathed her in warm water then (whilst wearing my marigolds) I applied some Germaloid cream to a finger and gently but firmly pushed the prolapse back in. Sounds gruesome but was better than I thought and she stayed calm throughout. I did this over a couple of nights although it only popped out again once. She is now happy and laying as good as ever. Felt quite proud of myself! lol Hope this helps?

xx
Soft egg and swollen vent

Started by lynnsb on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 11:27
by John
xx
vent wet

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 13:56
by joyfull
xx
Swollen Eye

Started by cluckiegreenfingers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 15:02
by cluckiegreenfingers
xx
Swollen toe!

Started by pennyrelf on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 20:04
by pennyrelf

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 32 queries.