Another Daft Q or 2...Learning More Every Day!!

• 7 Replies

ShoeGirl

Another Daft Q or 2...Learning More Every Day!!
« on: February 21, 2011, 22:32 »
After asking how old my Polish Bantam boy had to be before he could do his 'job', i am now wondering how you can tell if the eggs are fertilised??

I have a Blue Orpington, 2 Gold Laced Orps, a Welsummer, a Light Sussex & a Speckledy which i think are all laying at the mo so if i decided to hatch any eggs would any of those breeds be ok crossed with the Polish boy??

I've been looking into getting a 'few' more girls in the next month or 3 so any suggestions on breeds would be welcome  :)

Casey76

Re: Another Daft Q or 2...Learning More Every Day!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:16 »
A Polish bantam may have problems making the right, er, connections with your LF Orps!  :wacko:  However where there is a will there is a way  ;)

Having said that the breeds are so disparate that I would probably want to prevent it from happening - even with with Wellie, Sussex and speckledy - or at least not incubate any of the eggs.

Think about it from a practical point of view - what would such a breeding bring to the offspring?

You can tell if an egg is fertile by cracking it open and looking for an enlarged blastoderm (germ cell) on the yolk.  In an unfertile egg it is small and irregular.  In a fertile egg it is round and looks like a bullseye.

Obviously you can't incubate a cracked egg lol, but if one egg is fertile, then there is a high probability that others (from the same hen) are too.

ShoeGirl

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 00:32 »
Thank you Casey. I think the best way to phrase it is that he is certainly very persistent  and it's quite amusing seeing him fall off the Orps ::)

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 00:45 »
I'd agree with Casey I don't think these crosses make much, if any, sense at all.  I'd suggest you stick to a pure breed mating or at least a L/F pure breed cross.  A cross between a bantam polish cock and one of the L/F breeds you name would have some odd characteristics I'd think.  Don't forget you'll get cocks and hopefully hen offspring.  The cocks will be useless and will need to be culled.  The Speckledy is a hybrid hen and therefore useless to breed from in any case.

HF
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:44 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

ShoeGirl

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 00:51 »
I have 2 Polish bantam girls on order that i'll bring home when they reach 12 weeks so the Polish boy will have new interests!!

If i do decide to try and hatch the Polish eggs i won't do so unless i can find somewhere that takes the boys or someone who would want them for the pot.

Thank goodness for this forum, i have learnt so much  :)

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:26 »
I used one of my Marans eggs this weekend, and was amazed to find it fertile!  My Marans girl is pretty hefty, and my cockerel is a tiny Sabelpoot... I don't even want to think of the mechanics lol!

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:48 »
I used one of my Marans eggs this weekend, and was amazed to find it fertile!  My Marans girl is pretty hefty, and my cockerel is a tiny Sabelpoot... I don't even want to think of the mechanics lol!

Where there's a will there's way :lol: :lol:
HF

ShoeGirl

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38 »
After cracking todays 6 eggs ready for scrambling i found 2 of them fertilised which surprised me after the 'connection' post...i have to agree with your last post Hillfooter  :lol:

xx
learning from experience

Started by SMS6 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 08:32
by Willow_Warren
xx
Daft ?

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 22:17
by yorkshirerose
xx
daft question?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:37
by avilla
xx
Daft question

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 00:07
by Mr Chookles

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.