Hens coming soon ......

• 5 Replies

dawninspain

Hens coming soon ......
« on: April 27, 2007, 18:35 »
Hopefully next week we will have finished making a chicken house with attached run and can then go and get some chickens! Hurray, hurray :D

Their home will be in the fenced part of the garden where we grow our veg and the plan is that for a lot of the time they will be able to free range and otherwise they will have a run about 9' by 6'. We have made a concrete base for the run so that it is easy to clean.

My question is - do we need to put anything down on the concrete floor - like some sort of litter - or just scatter food to give them something to peck at when they are shut in.

I am sure that this will be the first of many, many questions.

Dawn

purplebat

Hens coming soon ......
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 20:10 »
can you give them an area of dirt, a tray or something? so they have something to bath in, and scratch
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Hens coming soon ......
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 22:10 »
I chucked a bag of bark chippings in the other day with mine, they loved it spent many happy hours making a mess  :lol:  

Inside I use straw and wood shavings which over the year they have broken down into a fine friable dust which they dig around in and bathe in when it's wet outside.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hens coming soon ......
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:17 »
You do need to put something soft down over the concrete base I'm aftaid, or they will get sore feet.  Hens NEED to scratch.  Mine try to tunnel to Australia  :lol:  

Richy has suggested bark chippings which are excellent the really need to be a 2-3 inches deep over the pen. I use play bark as it is quite large pieces and doesn't go mushy whan wet or pood on.  I occasionally remove the pooiest bark (chuck it on the compost heap) and add a bit of fresh stuff.

I have a dustbath for them in the run, a big deep tub from Wilco's very cheap.  I put about 3 inches of sandy soil in it which is liberally dosed with Diatom to combat lice and mites.

Hope that helps  :D

dawninspain

Hens coming soon ......
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 13:00 »
Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm glad I asked - hate the thought of sore feet.

We can get garden bark here although its not as common as in the UK so we'll put some of that down together with a couple of plastic trays with some dirt in for baths.  At the end of the run there will be a covered area (with the house above reached by a ladder) so we could also strew some straw there where it won't get wet.

I presume the bark can stay for quite a while before it needs changing.

Good idea Auntie to put the antilice/mite powder into the dust bath - do you find that this is sufficient and you don't need to actually put any on to the birds directly?

Thanks Dawn

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hens coming soon ......
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 23:33 »
I've never needed to dust the girls directly.  It's a good idea to dust inside their house in all the dark nooks and crannies too.

A regurlar (weekly) inspection of your birds for passengers is a good idea, and a quick wipe in suspicious places inside the coop with some white tissue or cloth to check for red mite is very sensible  :D

xx
Problem coming

Started by PJM on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 18:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Silkies coming...

Started by Frothgar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:46
by joyfull
xx
there coming tomorrow !!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 20:36
by babe
xx
one of our bats is coming to the end

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 08:37
by Catsmuvva

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 35 queries.