Rhubarb varieties

• 3 Replies

Beetroot queen

Rhubarb varieties
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:10 »
I have three rhubarb plants (forgive me if I get the names wrong)

A victoria rhubarb doing really badly on its second year, no crop for us but the slugs have had a party with it, despite me chopping them, putting pellets on, etc etc

A timpani early doing very very well and only on its first year, huge crop although I havent taken any. Its the same size as the big ones the old boys have been growing for a decade

Glaskins perpetual, also doing very well not as large as the timpani early but doing very well.

Why is the Victoria doing so badly, is it the variety, what do other people think who grow this type

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-varieties.html

The link seems to think its a great one  :wacko:

Trillium

Re: Rhubarb varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 18:49 »
I grow Canada Red myself, but there's little difference in how to grow the varieties.
I suspect that where you have the Victoria growing is creating a problem for the plant. Could be that there are nearby tree roots below sucking all the moisture out of the soil, could be too much sun baking that spot, could be infected manure used to feed that plant, could be tall plants shading the plant and creating a slug haven, could be a combination of things.
Sounds like you need to closely investigate the area for any of the above, even dig up the root and see if its doing well or badly, and maybe replant elsewhere with the usual good stuff: lots of clean rotted manure, bonemeal and water. Also, don't plant the tuber root too deeply and do mound the soil over the new spot so rain doesn't puddle there.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 19:58 »
I grow Canada Red myself, but there's little difference in how to grow the varieties.
I suspect that where you have the Victoria growing is creating a problem for the plant. Could be that there are nearby tree roots below sucking all the moisture out of the soil, could be too much sun baking that spot, could be infected manure used to feed that plant, could be tall plants shading the plant and creating a slug haven, could be a combination of things.
Sounds like you need to closely investigate the area for any of the above, even dig up the root and see if its doing well or badly, and maybe replant elsewhere with the usual good stuff: lots of clean rotted manure, bonemeal and water. Also, don't plant the tuber root too deeply and do mound the soil over the new spot so rain doesn't puddle there.

Thanks we have now moved it into a better spot, hopefully  :wacko: hopefully it will pick up and look as healthy as the rest  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 20:25 »
I grew my plants from seed last year and planted them this spring, I put 2 plants in the corner by the runners beans and the gooseberry bush, and wondering what to do with the other2 i stuck them willy nilly into a pile of turves, left from stripping the lawn back the year before.

The first lot had a lot of multi purpose compost and lots of chicken pellets, the 2nd lot got nothing...they were lucky that they got bunged in somewhere :ohmy:...and guess which lot are doing well :D and which lot i will have to move..............sometimes things just don't work how we plan do they :lol: :lol:

xx
Rhubarb varieties

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 22:48
by kermit
xx
What's the best rhubarb varieties?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 21:37
by shokkyy
xx
rhubarb varieties

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2019, 08:01
by DHM
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 40 queries.