when do i

• 5 Replies

gimli

when do i
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:45 »
hi still quite new to allotments and i was wondering i have some peas in my plot and there growing great.
but when i start to tie them to my canes do i still need to net them or is it safe to just let them grow up the canes without.
did have them under wire hoops and netting(yes i know it has a proper name lol but its totaly gone from my head :wub:)
but when i was up the allotment last night i noticed they were gretting very big and starting to lie ove so i ties them to my bamboo canes but then thought about netting.
hope this makes sense lol ???
gimli

paintedlady

Re: when do i
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 13:33 »
peas don't climb up canes like runner beans & climbing beans, so a bit of netting or string between canes would be better, or get a number of "pea sticks" in and around the pea plants (a pea stick is just some twiggy branches that you can find in wooded areas or tree/hedge prunings, and the plants grab hold of them)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 17:53 »
To add to paintedlady's info, you still need to net them if you expect to have any crop yourself. Keep reminding yourself that the birds are faster than you are  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 19:11 »
This thread has some piccies and explanations from DD (Peagod  :D ) about supporting peas
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gimli

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34 »
 :D :D thank you so much just shows i have a lot to learn.
but im enjoying so its worth it.
i think i can make a similar to whats on the picture easy enough.
glad you dident thinki was loopy(well dident say it any way lol ::) )

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 15:08 »
No question too loopy  :lol:

I used pea netting last year strung on single bamboo posts - nightmare to get up without tangling (needs 2 people) and nightmare to disentangle afterwards.

I'm trying DD's method for the first time this year, you never stop learning

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 39 queries.