Celeriac varieties

• 7 Replies

Bm1

Celeriac varieties
« on: October 14, 2022, 21:30 »
Hi all, what Celeriac varieties have you had large success growing please, it seems to be one of the hardest veg to grow to a decent size so any tips would be much appreciated?

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
Re: Celeriac varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 07:20 »
Make sure you pull most of leaves off as it grows as this creates the layers but not all of them because it still need to some to grow

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 14:09 »
I've not found much difference between the ones I have tried. I'm growing ibis this year.

Best to give them quite a lot of space at least a foot equidistant,  make sure they are always well watered and fertile soil. Sow in mid March plant out after frost

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 18:19 »
I have to say celeriac is one of the worst things we grow they where planted out on good fertile ground but they are no bigger than golf balls must be doing something wrong the seed was pelleted seed a variety called greensleeves I'm thinking there a waste of time and space I seen some in the supermarket the other day and they where like footballs so growing celeriac I wish :D

Bm1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 19:39 »
I was contemplating growing several varieties as an experiment next year to put all the theories to bed but on second thoughts, I don’t want to take up a year and the garden space to possibly end up wasting my time. I don’t know how or from where but you do get celeriac in the supermarkets the size of footballs.
Being as nobody here has convinced me that this is achievable, I’m not going to bother.
Thanks for your replies 🙂

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 19:03 »
We grow celeriac (Asterix) every year and find it a trouble-free, reliable crop. Plant modules out after risk of frost at 9 inch spacing either way and keep the soil damp (had to water it every three days or so in this summers highest temps). Leaves aren't stripped too often - only when old an tired, photo taken this morning after the third tidy up of the season. The roots aren't as big as those in the supermarket but the flesh is far denser with a much more intense flavour.

Plot.jpg
Hand.jpg

Bm1

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 09:06 »
We grow celeriac (Asterix) every year and find it a trouble-free, reliable crop. Plant modules out after risk of frost at 9 inch spacing either way and keep the soil damp (had to water it every three days or so in this summers highest temps). Leaves aren't stripped too often - only when old an tired, photo taken this morning after the third tidy up of the season. The roots aren't as big as those in the supermarket but the flesh is far denser with a much more intense flavour.

Thank you for your reply.
After reading so many people not growing anything over golf ball sized celeriac, myself included I was beginning to think that it took some special variety/environment/technique to achieve a sensible size. I hope to hear more success stories. Thanks

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 10:47 »
I take my hat off to you Blewit that celeriac looks marvellous how do you do it Stanley go on tell us because ours are just pathetic they need pulling up and putting on the compost heap  :(

xx
Celeriac

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:01
by strangerachael
xx
Celeriac

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 14:03
by spottymint
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 18:32
by RJR_38
xx
Celeriac

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:12
by Thephoenix572

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 43 queries.