Total Newbie

• 11 Replies

Big Fluffy One

Total Newbie
« on: September 27, 2009, 20:13 »
I thought I'd call by and say hi, and perhaps ask one or two what you more experience keepers out there would call 'newbie questions'  :)

I started off with an urge to keep a couple of birds and announced my intentions to build a coop and run to the family.  Now, with me being hopeless at DIY my son fell to the floor laughing and my wife's jaw dropped. :blink:

Since then I banged, hammered and drilled until I came up with a finished article, which I populated yesterday with two Rangers and a Coral.

The Coral is bullying the other two, which I might forgive as she presented me with an egg this morning.  I take it that this is simply sorting out who's the boss?

And probably the more silly question...do chickens eat/like peanuts?

Nice to be here.

BF1

I live in Leicestershire and I beachcast.
I live in a town and now I keep chickens.
Is there really any hope for me?

Rubellite

Re: Total Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 20:21 »
Hi. They will sort out their pecking order :blink:
Regards the peanuts, I don't really know other than to say definitely not salted ones!
 :)

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 20:37 »
Mine had a few the other day but they didn't really like them :unsure:

Oh and welcome hope you are mad?  You have to be here!

Big Fluffy One

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 20:54 »
Woofing :tongue2:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 20:55 »
Sounds like you will fit in.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

sheringhamlass

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 20:59 »
Hi. Know I'm a newbie too, but I've been told all birds can't count past 7. We have 7 hens and a cock bird and there is hardly any bickering. It may work if you've got the room. Hope it helps. XXX
planted waaayyy too many raspberries!!!!

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 21:34 »
Hi Total Newbie, I'm quite new to chikens to, you will find almost everything you want to know on this site, all the articles posted are so helpful, and most certainly there is a wealth of knowledge on here from one person or another, they have helped me heaps. And i thank each and everyone of them.  :D
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 21:57 »
Sorry should have been Big Fluffy one, Not Total Newbie  :blush:

power_of_p3

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 00:28 »
hiya big fluffy 1

welcome to the forum, im pretty new to chickes myself, but let me tell you its a steep learning curve thatsbplenty of fun!!!  i found mine lovedpeanuts, buti had been told to not give them whole cause they can possibly causeimpacted crop, i thinkbthat was the reason anyways i just took a sharp chefs knife to the nuts and they loved them.  you could always put them in a towel or bag and bash then with a rolling pin :)

anyways welcome and enjoy yourself, youll b forever sat watching them, such characters.

bb ~~jo~~

nzdunn

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:33 »
just wanted to say welcome to the forum, piccys please    nickyx

Daftodil

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 14:46 »
hi, I'm new to chickens this year too , Mine seem to love peanuts ( the ones we feed the wildbirds) and they were eating them whole - down in one, the ones that fell on the floor when filling up the bird feeders. They were very fast to get to them before I could pick them up. Hope they will be alright.
I am wondering if they have a deal with the chaffinches, they stand underneath the feeders whilst the chaffinches come and throw seed all over the ground for them. Just don't know what the chaffinches get out of it.
I have three girls and a cockerel from a friend who had hatched him and then had two many boys and no heart to put hands around his neck. He was very standoffish when he came but now comes to meet the car each evening so I will let his girls out, he is very protective of them. I have just got him to peck at an apple in my hand but he is not quite ready to take pellets or seed from me - working on it though.

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 15:46 »
I suspect that peanuts which are unprocesssed are fine but it might be best to chop them as power of P3 suggests.  However peanuts used in Wild bird seed are classified as unfit for human consumption and I believe are treated with some chemical to prevent them going mouldy (in the back of by brain there's a little warning signal saying "mercury" but you'd need to check.)  Feeding Wild Birds occasional nuts is one thing but regularly feeding chx might be another.  

Whatever feed a conventional chicken compound feed which is consistent with their age ie growers or layers or indeed table for 95% of their diet and keep treats and kitchen scraps to around 5% of their total feed.  Once you become more knowledgable then you might feel capable of being more adventurous.

I'm totally devastated to learn that chx can't count beyond 7.  no wonder my lottery numbers never come up!

Seriously it's agreat hobby and chx make good pets enjoy it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 15:56 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
help total utter newbie

Started by scouseroy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 18:30
by Tony H
xx
Total Mite Killer

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 21:57
by joyfull
xx
nesting boxes and poo (total beginner)

Started by flea on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 17:39
by karlooben
xx
Total newbies - build thread

Started by Myv8growler on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 17:16
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 32 queries.