Moss

• 11 Replies

240173paul

Moss
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:05 »
Hi all - I scarrified my lawn yesterday and as a result have 4 bin bags full of grass/moss!  What are your thoughts on using moss/grass as a mulch around fruit bushes, strawberries, peas and beans??  I obviously don't want to use it if the moss might grow!  thanks for the words of wisdom to follow - it seems a shame to put it in the green bin  - sould i compost it even???

cheers happy potting Paul

Springlands

Re: Moss
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:32 »
If you use hanging baskets the moss acts as a really good liner. Not too sure about using it as a mulch - would probably be OK to compost it.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:46 »
I think unless you want to spread it everywhere, it's not a good idea in the compost bin  :ohmy:

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:50 »
Ooh, good question. We scarified our lawn after coating it with phosphate of iron... guessing can't use the moss in baskets unless they're full of azaleas etc.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:55 »
I think it is probably too light to use as a mulch, and if you were to cover it with something heavier to stop it blowing away it might decide it likes the damp conditions and start growing again.  :ohmy:

It can be composted, but I found it took at least a year to even die off, and another year before it "disappeared."

If it's been treated with moss-killer you'd be better off putting it in the green bin.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42 »
Definitely the green bin. Tried it a few years ago and it re-grew.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46 »
I did ours yesterday too. We were planning to use it to line hanging baskets as Springlands suggested above. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 18:46 »
Ah Paul - just four bags, I have removed twenty bin bags full so far and a third of my lawn left to scarify! (I wish I could say my lawn was huge and that is why there is so much moss, alas it isn't - just very mossy!). I got a great new gadget for getting the moss out, but I have the same problem as you. I can confirm that it doesn't compost well and very much regretted putting it in my compost bins a couple of years back. We don't even have a garden waste scheme in my area so I am left to fill my wheelie bin each week until it is gone. It feels dreadfully wasteful though. I spent ages googling for uses for it, but no one seems to have anything other than the already mentioned basket linings. :(

Christine

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 20:18 »
My experience is that composted moss grows again and also if it is used as mulch. Once out of your lawn, out of your garden is my rule. But that's just a few years of practical experience.

jrko

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 20:25 »
If you have the time and space, dry it out and compact it.  Its basically raw peat. 

Its has also been used in potting mediums for its water retention properties
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02 »
You should use moss killer on your lawn before scarifying or you run the risk of spreading the moss all over your lawn. Obviously if you weed killered it you should not use it as a liner or mulch .

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17 »
You should use moss killer on your lawn before scarifying or you run the risk of spreading the moss all over your lawn. Obviously if you weed killered it you should not use it as a liner or mulch .

The moss will come back anyway if you don't change the conditions which allowed it to flourish in the first place.

It's not always compacted soil and damp conditions either - my "lawn" is like a trampoline thanks to moss because the soil is dry, sandy, and poor - if I feed it the grass out-grows the moss, if I don't (because it gets a bit expensive!) the moss gets the upper hand (obviously it only really prospers from autumn through to spring, but it's tough stuff and quite happily sits out the drought waiting for cooler, wetter conditions to return.)

xx
Not kate moss just moss

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:02
by Christine
xx
Moss

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 19:20
by Christine
xx
Moss

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2017, 13:26
by Deborah1
xx
Moss

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2018, 09:45
by Eblana

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 35 queries.