Do you have any vegetable recommendations - open pollinated varieties

• 5 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
I really want to try to only grow open-pollinated vegetables so I can save the seed.

I’ve already ordered a few vegetables from realseeds, but with such a large choice it’s difficult to decided on which varieties.

So do any of you have vegetable recommendations based on experience from previous years

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:40 by little sweetpeas »
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Stripey_cat

French beans!  Open pollinated types are true (they don't cross pollinate easily), the beans are yummy, and you can have bonus haricot if they crop too heavily. I have a soft spot for the 'Brittle Wax' Lidl sells - dwarf yellow, very tasty, and less than 50p a packet to get you started.  Tall types are heavier-cropping - I like 'Cobra', although I'm also trying 'Cherokee Trail of Tears'; both are black seeded, so if you want white haricot go for 'Blue Lake' or something.

spud

• Experienced Member
French beans!  Open pollinated types are true (they don't cross pollinate easily), the beans are yummy, and you can have bonus haricot if they crop too heavily. I have a soft spot for the 'Brittle Wax' Lidl sells - dwarf yellow, very tasty, and less than 50p a packet to get you started.  Tall types are heavier-cropping - I like 'Cobra', although I'm also trying 'Cherokee Trail of Tears'; both are black seeded, so if you want white haricot go for 'Blue Lake' or something.

Its something ive never grown is French Beans, they're not a big thing over here. How do most folks eat them? what kind of dish is best? how to deal with the chemicals in them that cause tummy upsets? so much to learn.
Best Regards,

spud

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Tomato Stupice (Czech; pronounce it Stew-pizza (?) Google says).

This bears a large number of 'saladette' tomatoes, bigger than a cherry tomato, smaller than a slicing tomato. Good flavor IMO. I had no disease problems with it, it is somewhat cold-tolerant (my mature plants did not "give up" in the autumn when temperatures dropped below 10oC).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Yorkie

• Global Moderator

Its something ive never grown is French Beans, they're not a big thing over here. How do most folks eat them? what kind of dish is best? how to deal with the chemicals in them that cause tummy upsets? so much to learn.

French beans are essentially like runner beans but not as flat or stringy. I much prefer them to runners.

Most varieties are eaten like runners, simply cooked and eaten quite young inside the pod. No issues around tummy upsets with this method.

Some varieties can also be left to form dried beans for later rehydrating and cooking (that's not something I've done - I believe that boiling them for long enough will remove the risk of tummy upsets).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steven c

• Experienced Member
Aiderman peas are heavy cropping and the seeds store well for reuse although they are cheap 350 for about just over a pound from premier seeds but i suppose if you save seeds you know they are fresh. we have saved Black Opal seeds [tomato] and these have worked well.
from bow like to grow

xx
Can I breed an Open Pollinated "Crimson Crush" tomato?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 20:52
by surbie100
xx
Open Pollinated Seed that you keep on with Year after Year...

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2024, 11:59
by oldgrunge
xx
recommendations for tomato varieties

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 17:21
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Late strawberry varieties - recommendations please!

Started by angelavdavis on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 21:30
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 44 queries.