Fitting a polytunnel cover

• 24 Replies

mumof4

« on: March 24, 2008, 14:22 »
Busy easter weekend finally got the polytunnel frame up (many thanks to neil for the door frame instructions).

So now it's just the cover - has anyone one got any helpful tips for fitting them.

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 14:58 »
if you dont have the base rail kit its a pain in the bum to do

getting it skintight is a nightmare

mumof4

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 15:12 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
if you dont have the base rail kit its a pain in the bum to do

getting it skintight is a nightmare

I am pleased to say that i do have the base rail

Clampit

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 18:42 »
Do you have wooden door frames at each end?

Clampit

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 19:04 »
First of all you need to get your sheet over the tunnel, we used to un-roll them onto the floor at one end of the tunnel, tie a rope to one end of the sheet and pull the sheet along the ridge of the tunnel (making sure that the edges of the folded sheet are facing up), have one person at the sheet end keeping it central and watching for any snagging, the other person pulling. When the sheet is over, tie the rope to anything secure. The person that was pulling the rope is then free to go to the other end of the tunnel to help the other person. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH SHEET HANGING OVER TO OVERLAP YOUR DOOR FRAME! (measure from the bottom of the end hoop along the ground to the bottom of your doorframe, you will need that much sheet plus two feet hanging over your hoop.)
With two of you at the same end (the other end tied off) find a corner of the sheet each and pull out to the sides of the tunnel, some sheets can be very sticky, don't be afraid to give it a hefty flap and tug.
When the end of the sheet is opened, still holding a corner each, pull the sheet out from the end of the tunnel (the rope has hold of the other end). The object of this is to get your sheet to open about halfway along the tunnel.
.........to be continued....sorry, someone at the door.

mumof4

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 19:30 »
Quote from: "Clampit"
Do you have wooden door frames at each end?

Yes i have the wooden base rail around the whole thing and double wooden doors/frames.

Just worried as Dad had to go back to Oxford and so I'm a Mum of 4 who's got to get the cover on, whitha husband who doesn't give a stuff so won't help me. I did think maybe if I took some wine and cans down to the plot some of the other plot holders should help but the more informed i am the better.

Clampit

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 19:40 »
I'm back, I have drawn a diagram, I hope it works, this bit is going to be really hard to explain.... :?

You should hopefully see a diagram of the end of your tunnel.
The rather wobbly drawn rectangles are lengths of 2" by 1" timber, about 18" in length. These are wrapped in the polythene, pulled as tight as you possibly can in the direction of the arrow and nailed to your door frame using 3" nails. You will have to do this at both ends of your tunnel, maybe more than once to get the sheet as tight as you can. When you are doing this try not to get any sheet 'gathering up' over the end hoop.
When you have both ends of the sheet secured in this way pin the sheet halfway along the tunnel by wrapping an 8 foot lenght of 2x1" into the polythene and nail to your ground rail.
Your sheet is now pinned on and safe to leave as long as it's not blowing a gale, you can now have a breather and a cup of tea.
If you leave your sheet for an hour or two you will find that the heat building up inside the tunnel will slacken the sheet, this is good. Infact, the hotter the day you can do this on the better. You can now release one batten at a time, re-tension the sheet and nail back on. The sheet now should be looking good and wrinkle free. Take the side battons off one at a time, re wrap and pull down as tight as you can.
When you have the sheet tensioned, work your way along the ground rail from the middle out fitting your sheet. When the sheet is fixed along both side rails you can then finish the ends.
I hope this helps, it's really hard to explain, any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

mumof4

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 19:56 »
Clampit when you fix the cover onto the ends i assume i would fix to the bas rail and then fix to the sides of the door frame.

The instructions say lift the base rail up and then lower back down to make skin tight but how can i raise it if the base rail at the ends are bolted into the doorframe. I'm sure i'm just being thick

mumof4

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 19:58 »
The diagram is great and yes i understand it, thanks

Clampit

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 20:14 »
The base rail running from your door frame to the hoop is the very last piece that you want to fix the sheet to.
When finished, the sheet should have pleats looking something like the diagram below.

mumof4

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 20:37 »
The base rail running from your door frame to the hoop is the very last piece that you want to fix the sheet to.
When finished, the sheet should have pleats looking something like the diagram below.

That's great, really getting the idea now.

Clampit

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:26 »
Quote from: "mumof4"
Clampit when you fix the cover onto the ends i assume i would fix to the bas rail and then fix to the sides of the door frame.

The instructions say lift the base rail up and then lower back down to make skin tight but how can i raise it if the base rail at the ends are bolted into the doorframe. I'm sure i'm just being thick

Is it possible to raise the ground rail along the sides of the tunnel by 4-5" all the way along? Or are they bolted in the corners?
If the only place your ground rail can't be lifted is on the ends next to the door frame then don't worry, You will allready have the tension you need in the ends and you will be able to bang down the rail along the sides to create tension.

Before you sheet make sure you check the whole structure for anything that may snag your sheet.i.e bolt heads.
If you have hot spot taped the hoops then tape your ridge if you have enough to spare (You will hopefully achieve enough tension for the sheet to touch the ridge pole inbetween hoops.)
When fitting the sheet make sure that everyone involved only holds the sheet by it's edges. (You don't want hand prints, and marks all over your tunnel.)
If the wind gets up a bit, don't panic, the sheets make a lot of noise when they flap and bang in the wind, it can be very worrying.
I would suggest fitting it early morning, the wind is usually non exsistent then.
Good luck with it, i'm sure you'll do a grand job.

matron

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53 »
Sounds very complicated to me. :shock:  Let us know how you get on mumof4 and if the the others on the allotment lend a hand. I am lucky - my OH helps with everything.

mumof4

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:48 »

Is it possible to raise the ground rail along the sides of the tunnel by 4-5" all the way along? Or are they bolted in the corners?
If the only place your ground rail can't be lifted is on the ends next to the door frame then don't worry, You will allready have the tension you need in the ends and you will be able to bang down the rail along the sides to create tension.

Good luck with it, i'm sure you'll do a grand job.

Yes, the base rail is bolted in the corners so it's just the sides to raise then.

The weather isn't great so I've collected the doors and bought them home to cover. The man two plots down said he'll hang the doors for me and he's offered to put some cerment around the bottom of the door posts. I also started to make the rebate by fixing the baton to the outside of the base rail.  

Going to get some wine and cans ready to take to the plot and put the word about that I need some help.

Quote from: "matron"
Sounds very complicated to me. :shock:  Let us know how you get on mumof4 and if the the others on the allotment lend a hand. I am lucky - my OH helps with everything.

I do love my OH but he never helps me, I don't want or need his help growing the veg and like to try everything myself and can do most DIY but I do feel p***ed off that he has never been to the plot and dosn't ever ask about how i'm getting on. I've had the plot well over a year now. I did think he might have helped with the polytunnel as it means so much to me but alass no. I raised the money for it by using money off coupons for my shopping and selling my clubcard vouchers on ebay and raised £600 so he didn't even have to part with any cash.

Clampit

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:01 »
Quote from: "mumof4"

Going to get some wine and cans ready to take to the plot and put the word about that I need some help.

That should do the trick. :lol:

Shame I don't live closer, It would be a lot easier to show you than explain. Does anyone else on your plot have a tunnel?

xx
Polytunnel cover

Started by Margot L on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:12
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Polytunnel cover

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2021, 06:55
by GraciesGran
xx
Cheap cover for a polytunnel

Started by animal mad on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2012, 15:55
by mumofstig
xx
fitting a handle to a hoe - how??

Started by littlelisa on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 11:31
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 28 queries.