Dodgy £1land compost

• 17 Replies

3 allotments

• now is the time
Dodgy £1land compost
« on: February 26, 2014, 18:56 »
Hello,has anyone had problems with that £1 compost from pundlund,i sowed lots of onion and leek seed in it they have all died there was lots of white fungus growing in it with little like mushrooms,i am going in to complain tomorrow after work for my money back as i bought 13 bags of the stuff  and wasted money on seeds  :mad: or ill get www address offf the bag and get in touch with them :mad:
diggity dig dig

Beetroot Queen

Re: Dodgy £1land compost
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 19:04 »
The stuff i got in lidl last year was duff too. Changed to verve and all was fine. Not sure you'll get much joy, customer service seems dead these days

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 19:11 »
Hi bq i ended going to b n q and got 250L  verve mpc  :Dfor less than 12 quid, :)im most peeved with pundlund :mad: i nearly bought that compost from lidl but changed my mind.Darren

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 19:13 »
You often get what you pay for. I wouldn't use anything except a decent seed & cutting compost (Westland is good but expensive in any quantity).

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 19:14 »
A lot of people on here use verve so thats good enough for me.  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 19:18 »
I had problems with verve last year found it to be over woody and no good for seedlings at all and that's why I have bought some Westland 2 sacks for a £5 from Tesco but have also bought some from the 99p shop and Lidl as depending on how good they are will depend what I actually end up using them for.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 19:25 »
The medium in which your plants grow is the single most important factor in their growth. Buy cheap, you will inevitably have poor results.
I'm lucky in that I don't have to actually buy any compost out of my own pocket, and I get the very best that you can. Without meaning to sound smug, I rarely, if ever in past couple of years, have any problem in germinating, potting on, or growing plants that can be put down to the compost they have been growing in.

Even the high nutrient, final potting mix can be passed through a garden riddle and leave nothing dubious behind.
As mentioned, you get what you pay for, and let's be fair, at a quid a bag it's not gonna be great is it?

Totty

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 23:49 »
I had the same thing with Lidl compost...it just seemed full of mushroom spores. I've used Verve since and had no such problems.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22 »
Goods still have to be "fit for purpose" whatever price they're sold at - if the compost label suggests it's multipurpose and doesn't give any indication that it shouldn't be used for seed sowing I'd take it back if I'd bought a lot of it, although I'd probably just put it down to experience if it was only one bag.

No prizes for guessing where some of the country's spent mushroom compost seems to be finishing up!  ::)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Christine

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 17:47 »
I bought some last year, it stunk and was no use. I just tried in more in hope that expectation. Will not be buying cheap compost again.

Hayleynotts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 18:25 »
Hello,has anyone had problems with that £1 compost from pundlund,i sowed lots of onion and leek seed in it they have all died there was lots of white fungus growing in it with little like mushrooms,i am going in to complain tomorrow after work for my money back as i bought 13 bags of the stuff  and wasted money on seeds  :mad: or ill get www address offf the bag and get in touch with them :mad:

Yes mine did the exact same (grew white fungus on top and even an orange fungus in one pot). Didn't bother taking it back so will be interested to see what they say

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 19:03 »

Yes mine did the exact same (grew white fungus on top and even an orange fungus in one pot). Didn't bother taking it back so will be interested to see what they say

I have just sent them a complaint about their mouldy compost ill let you know what their reply is,if i get one back the company is called Whitemoss lol lol they got that one right lol. Darren

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 23:40 »
As someone else said, Westland JI seed compost is expensive but I've used it for the last 4 years and it's the only one that I've found to be absolutely consistent in quality. If you think how many seedlings you can germinate from a 30l bag then the cost is really irrelevant. For potting on I use almost anything available and mix it with home made compost but I like to give my 'babies' the best start in life.

3759allen

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 23:55 »
The stuff i got in lidl last year was duff too. Changed to verve and all was fine. Not sure you'll get much joy, customer service seems dead these days

ditto.

used a couple of bags last year, things did grow but very poorly and dried out very quickly.

went to verve after and will be using again this year. in fact the deal on 3 bags of 120l bags or the big 200l bags work out cheaper than the cheap rubbish.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:07 »
Please can we stay on the topic of poundland compost  ;)

Open another thread if you really want to discuss any old compost  :D

xx
Dodgy Compost

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 17:28
by SarahB
xx
Dodgy Compost

Started by boybeck on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 07:50
by Beetroot queen
xx
Onions looking a bit dodgy - is this ok?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 21:17
by Yorkie
xx
Dodgy apples

Started by pennsylvania planters on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 19:47
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 35 queries.