Crippled Silkie

• 4 Replies

Puk Gooble

Crippled Silkie
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:41 »
Hello,

One of our Silkies was dropped a couple of weeks ago. It appeared that he injured his leg as he was walking with a limp afterwards. We took him to the vet who said he would be fine and should recover quickly. He did notice that he was very thin.

His condition has just been deteriorating. He cant even stand up now and kind of lies on the ground with his legs sprawled out to his side. He is eating which is a good sign, but I dont think hes going to get better unless we do something, but I havent got a clue what to do for him. Does his leg need bandaging or something to allow him to stand on it?

Thanks for any help!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Crippled Silkie
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 13:06 »
what do you mean by "dropped"??

is the leg broken?

is it bruised?

is she eating and drinking?

Foxy

Crippled Silkie
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 13:08 »
Hello Puk, sorry to hear about your cockerel - I am not sure however, that is condition is a result of his fall and perhaps something else might be going on.
You could try splinting his leg  between lollypop sticks and taping see if that helps - otherwise I would start to be thinking that there could be something neurological. Try and keep him eating and drinking and warm.

Puk Gooble

Crippled Silkie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 18:29 »
Hello,

Well my step son was carrying him and he started flapping his wings as he does sometimes. He fell pretty badly with legs and wings all askew. For a couple of days he was walking strangely, but otherwise seemed ok. He has deteriorated now to the stage where he cant stand up or even lie down like a normal chicken.

I cant feel any breaks or bruises in his leg. The vet said his knee was slightly warm, but couldnt find much damage.

He is eating and drinking. We make sure there is food and drink next to where he lies.

Im sure his condition is a result of the fall as he seemed to be a pretty healthy chicken before the fall and  a not healthy chicken afterwards, although it did take a few days for it to deteriorate. Do you think maybe he banged his head?

Do you have more info about how to fix this splint on?

Would pictures help?

Puk Gooble

Crippled Silkie
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 20:06 »
Hi Foxy,

Do you have more information about splinting his leg? I have looked all over the internet for this to no avail.

His condition is pretty much the same. No better, no worse.

Many thanks

xx
Crippled Chicken

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 11:22
by Chicken star
xx
Crippled chick - can it survive?

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 15:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
help me sex silkie

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 21:44
by YoungChickenLover
xx
Silkie

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 08:11
by New shoot

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 34 queries.