Blueberries

• 14 Replies

sclarke624

Blueberries
« on: June 03, 2009, 21:55 »
Might have some berries of this plant.  Its First year.
IMG_2423A (600 x 499).jpg
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Beetroot queen

Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 21:59 »
Looks much healthier than mine, mine was covered in flowers but only about 3 leaves, apart from that it looks lovely, it was doing so well until it flowered  :blush:

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 22:17 »
I have another one that is one year old that has few leaves and hasn't flowered at all.  Will put what they are when I go out there.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 22:28 »
Few leaves is an indication that things are too alkaline for the plant...either the water you're using or not enough eracious additives.

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 23:08 »
quote author=Trillium link=topic=38272.msg455515#msg455515 date=1244064493]
Few leaves is an indication that things are too alkaline for the plant...either the water you're using or not enough eracious additives.
[/quote]

Arrived like that though with the other one, different variety, I've used rain water and eric wotsit compost.  Might pick up next year or I might just complain to crocus.co.uk where I got it from.  May just be the variety looks different, but few leaves worrying.

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 23:11 »
Found the names of them.
blueberry - mid-season fruiting
‘Vaccinium corymbosum Bluecrop’ This is the one that doesn't look much.

AND
blueberry - early fruiting
‘Vaccinium corymbosum Bluegold’.............the better one.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:05 »
Yes they are looking good and on course for your first crop - enjoy ! (and make sure that robin doesn't get in there, although its the magpies which help themselves to mine)  :)

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:12 »
So far the birdies have left well alone.  But a field mouse did nick my first red strawberry last week.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 12:19 »
So far the birdies have left well alone.  But a field mouse did nick my first red strawberry last week.

the little so and so.... :(

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 14:46 »
I forgot to mention that one year old plants aren't ready to do much this year other than set their roots. Keep the watering even as blueberries like it moist (never boggy) and they don't mind a bit of shade. If possible, give them a topping with some pelleted chicken manure asap and let them get on with things. I have bluecrop as well and it's not a particularly leafy variety.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 16:19 »
i did an experiement with my blueberries - i had one on its own outside and the other two inside a "greenhouse" (homemade plastic sheeting over chicken wire) - the one outside has very few leaves and no fruit, but the other two look very healthy and fruit is on!

my conclusion is that they need a friend to get fruit and that they need humidity.
lots of it.
(the humidity conclusion came from other people on the forum)

i think the one outside lost its leaves because it's not humid enough - it was watered with rain water and sits in ericaceous compost.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 00:05 »
Blueberries definitely need different cross pollinators, ones that flower at the same time, which is somewhat dependent on size. Short, tight plants will flower way earlier than the cultivated bush types so its a waste of time to buy one of each of those.

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 02:37 »
I forgot to mention that one year old plants aren't ready to do much this year other than set their roots. Keep the watering even as blueberries like it moist (never boggy) and they don't mind a bit of shade. If possible, give them a topping with some pelleted chicken manure asap and let them get on with things. I have bluecrop as well and it's not a particularly leafy variety.

thanks for that Trillium.  Making notes to keep.  I have stacks of pine needles my fingers can vouch for that.  We have a huge scots pine on the street outside, it blows needles, and cones all over, the times I have nearly broken my neck by stepping on a cone, I curse the thing.  Does mulch mean putting on the top of the pot around the plant.

Blueberries definitely need different cross pollinators, ones that flower at the same time, which is somewhat dependent on size. Short, tight plants will flower way earlier than the cultivated bush types so its a waste of time to buy one of each of those.

So another early and another mid would help with yield do you think.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:40 by sclarke624 »

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 14:31 »
Yes, lay the pine needles on the pot soil surface all around the plant. It will eventually break down so keep adding them as they're acidic, just what the blueberries need.

And yes, corresponding time pollinators will definitely help and if possible get a different variety than the ones you already have. People who have only one plant and claim great success very likely have someone in the immediate area with blueberry plants which the bees helpfully pollinate. I have both early and later types and have 6 varieties so that all plants stay happy and productive.

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 15:38 »
Ta very

xx
Blueberries again

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 12:33
by Growster...
xx
blueberries

Started by ErnieT2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 22:43
by Ema
xx
blueberries

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 16:16
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
blueberries

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 15:50
by JayG

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.