VERY soft shelled eggs (after laying normally)

• 4 Replies

RHYSDAD

VERY soft shelled eggs (after laying normally)
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:50 »
I've not long completed the coop and run and eventually have the girls now. I ended up with my mums last remaining old girl and a youngish one from my boss. We introduced them overnight in the coop and after a few days of the old girl bossing the younger one around, they are now getting along much better. The problem is now the eggs. Day 1 we had two eggs of good quality and it's all been downhill from there. Now, after a week, it's one egg a day from the old girl and the shell quality has nosedived. The first couple were not quite formed at one end so the white was peeking out and this morning it's just a soft shelled egg that they were eating as i opened up the door....doh! They are fed on layers pellets as well as range in the garden so i'm wondering if it's a stress thing. The old one was laying fine at my mums and the younger one was also laying fine apparently according to my boss.

I'm thinking it can't just be dietary.........they might benefit from some calcium and vitamins but surely that's in the pellets already?????

Any advice appreciated please.....!!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:28 by Ice »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: VERY soft sheeled eggs (after laying normally)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:10 »
Hello RHYSDAD I have read on here that young hens who are getting into the swing of laying can lay soft shells (my blackrock did for the 1st few months!) also as an old hen comes to the end of her laying life she can start to lay soft shells too! I give my girls oyster shell even though layers pellets have everything they need just to be certain they have what they need. There is a calcium powder which some people use which i think is given to foals too! Good luck
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:34 »
Hello Rhysdad,
Always have on offer to your hens a dish of grit and oyster shell.  The grit to aid digestion and the oyster shell for calcium.  Limestone powder may also help, as possibly some tinned cat food of the fish varieties, ooh and a bit of yoghurt!
cathangirl

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:10 »
It is probably the move that has affected the laying, dont worry just yet, but avoid any treats or corn and just stick to layers pellets for now, with ad-lib oyster shell available.

RHYSDAD

Re: VERY soft shelled eggs (after laying normally)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 22:41 »
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Had a decent egg this afternoon from one of them so i'm hoping the stress is receding in them. Will see what happens and hopefully we'll have some decent poached eggs for brekky before long  :D

xx
The hen is still laying soft shelled eggs

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 23, 2007, 09:23
by Oliveview
xx
20 week old hen laying 2 soft-shelled eggs at a time

Started by CSchillero on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 14:00
by steven c
xx
Young hen laying two soft shelled eggs overnight

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 14:17
by ghost61
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 35 queries.