melons... to grow on or not to grow on

• 2 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
melons... to grow on or not to grow on
« on: June 12, 2012, 13:00 »
Last autumn, I bought a 50p pack of melon seeds in the sales, and planted them in our conservatory back in March. Of 6 seeds, I got two seedlings.

However, I now have a dilemma. The seedlings are still only about 2" tall, so their growth rate has been rather poor, despite being in a heated conservatory which gets sun all day (when it decides to shine). The big problem is, my other seeds (toms, cukes, courgettes, peppers) have germinated rather well, so my cold frame and my greenhouse are already getting a bit full (the g/h is only a 2'x6' lean-to!) and I am concerned I will take up precious growing space with pointless melons!!

SO, the question is - should I plant on in the greenhouse or not?

With the progress they have made so far, in the previous experience of the knowledgeable folk on here, have I any chance at all of getting any fruit this year... especially considering how far north I am?

Cheers!

Trillium

Re: melons... to grow on or not to grow on
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 13:27 »
I'd go with the greenhouse planting now. The conservatory windows might have some UV resistant tinting that the melons are feeling the affects of while the greenhouse won't have this problem. I also find that melons do far better when their roots are free to spread.

Give them lots of rotted muck and regular watering and they'll probably spurt growth on you.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: melons... to grow on or not to grow on
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 13:32 »
I grew Sweetheart melon quite successfully in my greenhouse last year despite the indifferent weather. It has a very trailing habit which is an advantage as it can be trained out of the way of most other things (yours may be somewhat different, of course.)

Am growing them again this year but at the moment they are looking a bit sorry for themselves - they need more warmth than they've had lately.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
anyone grow melons in uk?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 18:49
by rawbinood
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
what to grow?

Started by James86 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 20:15
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 39 queries.