Cabbages in the UK for supermarkets

• 17 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Cabbages in the UK for supermarkets
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 13:37 »
Country of origin is always labeled in the shops hobnob so why do you need to know which varieties are harvested when ?

hobhob

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 17:39 »
People keep asking me that, but it doesn't matter does it  :tongue2:. I just do, I like to know.

Thanks.

zazen999

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 20:59 »
GrannieAnnie is correct. Now I know that Cabbages can be grown all year round but like a Relay Race there are several people to get the baton round. So what I was thinking was that varieties which make the known produce appear to be available all year are in fact limited themselves to specific periods of the year, only in unison do they then appear to be available all year round.

So with absolute confidence, can anyone authoritatively say, without any doubt, that any of the cabbages on the list I have can be harvested at any point in the year to give them year round harvesting?

Because I believe that short of taste and appearance the varieties must have been introduced for climatic and seasonal reasons.

Thanks.

I can categorically say that the red cabbages that I grow could be easily harvested all year round; If they are sown successionally. As they are not F1s, they all grow in their own good time and I harvest those that are big enough as and when. I tend NOT to grow them so that they are coming to their biggest size during the summer as there are so many other crops to harvest; but some do and I use those for red coleslaw.

I can categorically say that if I wanted green cabbages all year round, I'd find some and have some.

I know this because I use heritage seeds and steer clear of F1s which are the ones that you might be talking about; if I wanted F1s to sell then I'd grow a large range and then I'd probably have some coming up for harvest all year round.

Especially if I had a polytunnel or a covered growing area.

xx
Icebergs like the supermarkets

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 07:47
by lacewing
xx
supermarkets cant get rid of pumpkin surplus

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2006, 16:53
by jennyb
smiley
growing ginger from supermarkets

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 14:29
by sunshineband
xx
By mid April I'd already stopped buying lettuce from Supermarkets. C'Mon!

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 17:08
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 33 queries.