2010 Not happy with my compost!

• 52 Replies

PennyS

• My website
2010 Not happy with my compost!
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:57 »
Not happy with my compost at all!

I have always used John Innes No. 1 for seeds but this year decided to go peat free so after research went for Which? Best Buy peat free.  

Result - absolutely nothing I've sown in it has come up.  Well that's not quite true, 2 of the 32 roottrainers have a tiny cabbage.  And that was all sown 3 weeks ago.

No broad beans at all.

All the stuff I planted in the last of my old John Innes has come up beautifully.

Arrgh.  Trying to be green but really regretting it  >:(

Think I'll be doing a lot of sowing this weekend - and I'm certainly going to try a different compost!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:46 by mumofstig »
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: Not happy with my compost!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:15 »
Oh eck...

That's not good at all. I used a cheapo Wilkinson's seed compo and almost everything has come up - worth a try?

Actually, I doubt it was peat free, so maybe not such a helpful comment, sorry.  :wacko:

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:51 »
Yes, ive noticed you get  worse germination rate in peat free. I generally use either  JI or peat based potting compost (really, works a treat).

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:27 »
i used the asda one cos i had my fingers burnt before, peat free is fine for potting on tho but would never use it again for seeds.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:39 »
I've stopped using peat free it was full of lumps and rubbish.
Paul

harry

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:49 »
I just use B & Q bog standard 3 for 2 compost never had any trouble :D ::)
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

noshed

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 13:43 »
You could try Munty's trick (sorry new people, he is a living legend on this site). Old grow bag compost with some horticultural sand and a little bit of blood, fish and bone.
This is not necessarily peat free but you are using it twice, so it's slightly better, and cheap.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 17:25 »
You could try Munty's trick (sorry new people, he is a living legend on this site). Old grow bag compost with some horticultural sand and a little bit of blood, fish and bone.
This is not necessarily peat free but you are using it twice, so it's slightly better, and cheap.

Theres no reason you cant keep reusing compost, as long as you replenish the nutrients and rotate crops in it so it doesnt get diseases. I use old compost as a bulker in the compost heap.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 21:23 »
Well I suppose it's all an experiment isn't it.  I was trying to be green but to be honest with my seeds I won't bother again  :(
Off to the garden centre this weekend for some nice peaty compost and some John Innes No.1 !! - and some more broad beans.
I will probably just sow these direct now...

:D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 21:24 »
Complain to them...its the only way that they have to start to listen to the consumer/buyer. Peat free is the way its going to be, so we as gardeners need to make sure that we dont have to put up with rubbish but pay over the odds for an inferior product
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 21:33 »
I'm sure it's fine for containers etc - but obviously doesn't do the trick for cabbage seeds.  Surprised about the broad beans though, I thought they were tough old things.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 00:57 »
I agree - John Innes No.1 is definitely the best for seeds.  I only use Homebase multi-purpose for cuttings (with a bit of sand) and for potting on.  It is easier to avoid drying out with John Innes, and I always mix in a fair bit of vermiculite or perlite.  I got a couple of bags half price in Homebase the other day as they had got wet but you wet it anyway so I think I had got a bargain.  Vermiculite is a bit pricey but then so are some seeds and it really helps with soil aeration and water retention.

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 07:54 »
i tried peet free and got the same! useless stuff... i did write and complain,, my mother in law actually wrote the letter (well they are better at complaining) i did,nt get a reply. i chased this up with another letter and an email and still waiting for the reply..  nearly 12 mths now..

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 12:11 »
I use J. I. seed compost as there is only a small amount of nutrient in it which is supposedly better for germination. Having said that, I have used multipurpose before and it's been ok. I am finding this year that quite a few things are very slow to germinate so maybe wait and see? :wub:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 18:27 »
I have to admit I've never had great success with John Innes No 1(holds onto too much moisture and rots the seeds) It obviously depends on your light and temperature and other growing conditions such as fluctuations in temperature.

I have to admit that B&Q bulk bales and ordinary multipurpose compost works fantastically, but I dont have a branch near me at home, so I use  a multipurpose compost that has John Innes mixed in with it(mine is a Arthur Bowers brand- but I think others do it too). It just gives it a bit of oomph to hold onto moisture but is reasonably free draining so soes't keep the seeds too sodden.

I think vermiculite is cheap. A big bag lasts a year or more. I put the seeds on the compost and cover with a thin layer of the vermiculite.

The compost works really well for potting on, hanging baskets and pots etc

xx
Thread only for Potiron, Happy Chick and Compost Queen.....

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

108 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 20:01
by Potiron
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 32 queries.