New hens on the way-some preparation advice please!

• 6 Replies
New hens on the way-some preparation advice please!
« on: February 10, 2010, 20:03 »
Hi all!
I am new to this site and really hope I am not asking questions which may seem a little obvious to answer-apologies if I am!
I am picking up some ex-bats a week Saturday for the first time and am in the process of sorting out the garden for them. I have a lovely new coop on the way but was debating wether or not to build a run for the hens. I have quite a large multi level and multi surface garden which is protected on all sides with a wall of about 7-8 feet high. I would love to free range them as much as possible and as I am at home most of the time (full time Mum) I cant see this being a problem as I spend most days in my back room with huge patio doors so I can see outisde all day.
I can build a run if needs be but as my garden is mutli levelled it would really restrict the space the hens get. Obviously I will put them in their coop securely at night but dont know the risks during the day time with foxes and the local cats.
Any advice would be most appreciated-if I do need to build a run I need my Dad round here asap to start the construction!!!!
Thanks in advance, Lisa

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: New hens on the way-some preparation advice please!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 21:37 »
welcome to the site and congratulations on getting your new girls next week! its lovely to let them free range if you can - and your fences seem high enough to prevent them escaping, the fox is unfortunately always a concern though, how easy would it be for one to climb over into your garden? lots of people do risk it and lots don't! sometimes it is really useful to have a secure run to keep them in safely - if you are out for the day or getting back late or got an ill hen that needs to be kept an eye on etc. if they are mainly free ranging the run wouldnt have to be very big - does the coop youve got on order have any kind of run attached to it?  im sure nmany peolpe will warn you - you are about to become engrossed in the fascinating world of chickens (fascinating only to those that own some and a complete chicken bore to those that don't!!) best of luck!! lucyloux

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 22:16 »
As a full-time mum I suspect you also have kids wanting to use the chickens' free range area?  You may find that restricting where they (either chickens or children) roam is necessary as chickens do p**p alot!  You can get moveable fencing, which I find helpful, as it does mean you can change the free range area to suit whats going on.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:22 »
I think it is essential that you have some way of confining them for short periods so you should have a small run attached to the house.  When you get them home they should be confined to the house and attached run so they become "homed" to the house otherwise they won't learn to roost in the house at night.  Once they are homed a couple of days should do it they can be let out to range.  The run doesn't need to be a substancial structure or a walk in cage.  A small "tunnel" run is fine for short periods of confinement.

You don't say how many chx or how large is the area they will have but chx are no respectors of borders or plants and they will quickly start to wear the ground particularly around the house and its entrance,  Arrange the run so it interfaces to the house door and provides a covered entrance which will help to keep the house free from mud and the entrance from becoming paddled.  It may look green and verdant now but a few weeks of chx scratting will quickly denude it.  A "door mat" of a slatted duck board on a bed of bark or well rotted wood shreddings or chips is a good idea.  try to site the houe in a dry area with no overhanging trees and where the greatest surface catches the mid day sun and the entrance is shelterd from the prevailing wind. I'll attach a photo of my houses so you will get the idea.  If you have borders you want to protect even a small wire hoop border will discourage them even when they can easily get over if there are open areas they will mostly keep off.

There's lots to learn and a little reading of a good book such as Katie Thears "Starting with Chickens" will save you much anguish later and save you lots of work if you get the husbandry right from the off.  Get it wrong and your dreams of idyllic scenes of happy productive hens grazing gracefully on your lawn could turn into a smelly unsanitory eyesore with unhealthy hens and overrun with vermin.  It's a great hobby very rewarding and totally addictive when you get it right.  There's lots to learn and it pays dividends to start well before you jump in the deep end.  You've found this site which is a good start.
Congratulations on choosing a great hobby all the best with your new birds.
HF
Barnevelders & run.jpg
Covered run.jpg
Truth through science.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:36 »
Hi Lisa - so glad you've joined us  :)

I agree that a run is a good idea, even if you don't use it regularly. You'll need to keep your girls in there for a few days before they can cope with the garden - they've not been used to walking, let alone free ranging, where they've been.

They won't recognise treats yet ... but throw them a handful of corn in there every so often, and keep their feeders in there, so that eventually they associate the run with food and good things - makes it much easier to get them in when you need to. So when they're free ranging, still feed them in the run, and they'll come whenever they see you ...

Your garden sounds lovely! Having hens around will mean they trash a lot of it and much quicker than you can imagine! The more space they have, the longer it takes ... but it is inevitable. Could you use some netting to fence off part of the garden ... perhaps rotating them round every few months to let areas recover? Do you grow veg? Hens make some lovely compost, and will dig over a veg patch for you really effectively (although you might find you don't have any worms left)  ::)

Anyway - enjoy them! And take some photos for us when they come, please!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:37 »
PS - I started with ex-batts, too ... check out the website in my profile for my blog ... might have a few ideas there that might help.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:44 »
Congratulations. I started with 6 ex bats I now have 12 assorted  types and hope to get some more in the spring. It is very adictive so beware but  i would not change it.
  Please take care foxes are very clever and can get over or under a fence. I would use a run to save your garden and the chickens.

xx
Preparation of coop for first hens

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 18:13
by themagicaltoad1
xx
House Preparation/Cleaning

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 22:55
by richyrich7
xx
Winter Poultry Preparation...

Started by sarah* on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 10:16
by John
xx
Advice: How many hens?

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2014, 16:55
by zoggett

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 38 queries.