Seedling root problems?

• 7 Replies

cheadleplotter

Seedling root problems?
« on: April 05, 2009, 15:55 »
I have been growing seedlings - toms, kale, broccoli on my kitchen worktop near the window. All seemed to be going well but slowly but surely some of them have started to go limp and die, when I pulled out the dying ones they had very little or no roots. The chilli's and peppers in the same spot are doing well with strong roots, and all the seedings have been watered the same.  Any ideas would be great

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Seedling root problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 16:08 »
I'm sure others will say similar - probably due to damping-off disease, caused by fungus which attacks the roots first, so you don't know it's there until it's too late.
Make sure the containers are spotless before you start; use fresh potting compost, not soil; if you aren't adverse to it then spray the soil with cheshunt compound before you sow, failing that then trillium recommends strong camomile tea, which I've found helps plus a drop of tea tree oil per litre - spray weekly.
be really mean with watering from the bottom, not top and don't keep them too warm.
HTH - it's really annoying isn't it?

cheadleplotter

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 16:17 »
Thanks for the help. I've started more today in brand new trays with a fresh bag of compost so we'll see how this lot do. Do you think it's too warm in the house for the seedlings? Central heating and the heat from the kitchen. I'll give the tea and tee tree oil a go as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 16:22 »
I think growing them too warm is a problem.  If you have to grow them indoors then a North facing window is best.  Sunlight through a window on young seedlings can be a killer.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 19:48 »
..and use tap water, but butt water  ;)
Rachael

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 19:52 »
Kale and broccoli are hardy, so should really be started off outdoors in a cold frame or cold greenhouse.

With the toms, keep them on the dry side, don't water too much, and blow on the compost a few times a day. Sounds weird, but it keeps the movement of air which also helps keep 'damping off' away. Also helps to strengthen the stems and gives stronger plants.

cheadleplotter

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 20:13 »
I'll move the broccoli and kale to the greenhouse - I got the feeling they didn't like being in the house and it will free up a bit of room in the kitchen. I've also potted on the toms into 3" pots with fresh compost and they seem to be so much stronger than yesterday if that's possible. How many plants would you reccommend per growbag?

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 20:31 »
Hi, i agree with everyone the fact that the chillis and peppers are doing well says it all.

xx
Root Veg Seedling ID

Started by mellowmick on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 15:42
by Heather_S
xx
Sweetcorn seedling problems

Started by PhilippaJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2016, 09:58
by Debz
xx
Shallot Zebrune seedling problems

Started by BrenSouthYorks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2018, 22:45
by BrenSouthYorks
xx
Root problems.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2023, 09:15
by Russell Atterbury

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 38 queries.