The luck of the draw, Blossom ( apples )

• 5 Replies

beesrus

The luck of the draw, Blossom ( apples )
« on: May 15, 2014, 18:51 »
I have 2 apple trees at home, one Braeburn, and I've forgotten what the other is. They've been in situ for 4 years now with only the most meagre of crops, despite plenty of blossoms. One is really in the wrong place in quite a lot of shade and therefore usually blossoms 2 or 3 weeks later than the other, with the inevitable result in an apple pollen desert, with living  in the town with most gardens in the neighbourhood now given over to parking cars. But this year's weather was perfect at the right time. They blossomed together for the very first time and the bees were in quick as that. No subsequent frosts to kill joy and I can already see a bumper crop developing well beyond any expectation.  :D
My grandfather would have been proud. Any other signs out there of the weather doing you justice for once ?

LilacSandy

Re: The luck of the draw, Blossom ( apples )
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 19:24 »
Well done you,  my cherry tree has fruit for the first time this year, I will be netting early as I love cherries and the birds are not getting these.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 22:26 »
I've only got the one apple tree and last year hardly any blossom stayed on and the 2 little apples that appeared soon fell off.

But so far this year, loads of blossom, and hopefully bumper crop of apples!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 06:57 »
I planted my trees earlier this year and wasn't expecting to get any flowers this year but my Crabapple has been totally loaded down and looks like everything got pollinated before we had the inch of hail and total downpours! The 2 eating apples aren't flowering but I wasn't really expecting them too.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:20 »
My pear tree is covered in blossom this year.   Last year it only had a couple of flowers and no fruit so I am hoping for even one fruit this year.  I understand that pears take a little while to become mature enough to blossom and fruit so I have been very patient with it.  It's lived with me for a few years now.

madcat

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 19:12 »
Ours have done really well, set loads of fruit and given the number of blue and great tits foraging in them, all the codling moth larvae should have disappeared into a birdie tummy!  We can hope ...... ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Draw Hoe

Started by AdsaM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 08:36
by JimS
xx
Blossom end rot.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 22:04
by solway cropper
question
Blossom end rot?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 17:37
by Headgardener22
xx
blossom end rot

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2022, 09:13
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 29 queries.