new driving rules [highway code]

• 22 Replies

rowlandwells

new driving rules [highway code]
« on: January 26, 2022, 17:37 »
I was talking to someone today and the conversation came up about the new highway code rules coming into force although I am mindful of the need for absolute road safety especially the use of mobile phones and the respect for other road users people opening car and van doors onto other road users totally unacceptable and surely common cense should prevails when passing cyclists and horses

but there are also other rules that begs belief on those who make these rules and the effects it could have on the motorist

so take a look at these new high way code rules and give us your opinion on what you think about these new rules as non compliance can mean a heavy fine and possible points on your licence?

Hampshire Hog

Re: new driving rules [highway code]
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 20:52 »
I have already seen the proposed changes. Whilst I would endorse taking care around cyclists and pedestrians I can see scope for problems. There doesn’t seem to have been an adequate publicity campaign behind these changes. As an example the suggestion of giving way to pedestrians when turning into a road sounds ok but if one is being followed by another driver who is unaware of the new rules( or doesn’t care!) then an accident could occur. Judging by the widespread ignoring of speed limits I will be interested to see how these new rules are respected.
Keep digging

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:57 »
couldn't agree with you more HH there's going to be many more accidents by people running in the back of you the car body repairers must be rubbing there hand and of cause up will go you insurance premiums to boot happy motoring ahead A

al78

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 14:21 »
couldn't agree with you more HH there's going to be many more accidents by people running in the back of you ...

Why? Are the new rules suddenly going to make motorists blind?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 17:34 »
couldn't agree with you more HH there's going to be many more accidents by people running in the back of you ...

The previous 2 posts have explained the concerns.  People are entitled to express opinions and not expect such an abrupt response.  Please see the site policies if you are unfamilar with our policy of keeping things friendly.

SITE POLICIES

There is widespread feeling that this is one of the friendliest forum around and the Moderating Team feels very strongly about keeping it that way.  Try smiling when you type your reply ... no matter that you may disagree with an earlier post - doing so with a smile always helps.  Deliberately disrupting topics, unfriendliness or bad manners to others has no place here.  If you disagree with a subject challenge the idea, do not attack the poster !  Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion and choices without being slammed by opinions on the opposite side.

More here:

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19481.0

grinling

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 17:46 »
I can see problems with priority to pedestrians. Teaching children green cross code will be complicated and not all drivers will stop. Have to get son clued up as test in May.
Rural drivers give way to horses etc, I slow down for dog walkers as dogs get skittish. motorists will be prosecuted, but how do you enforce things with cyclists?

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 17:56 »
further to this topic did I read where the police are to step up fines for  people parking on paths?

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 10:28 »
With respect to may cyclists, there are some who think they have command of the highways and have no respect for motorists. It's give and take in my view.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 20:58 »
Police will fine if the vehicle is causing an obstruction, but parking on the pavement is a no no for London, but fine here. Wish police would fine the vehicles which park on junctions up here.

Only 20,000 put views on the changes shows how much it wasn't advertised.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 21:09 »
London has specific rules about pavement parking; these don't apply in the rest of the country.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

al78

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 09:45 »

The previous 2 posts have explained the concerns.  People are entitled to express opinions and not expect such an abrupt response.  Please see the site policies if you are unfamilar with our policy of keeping things friendly.

Sorry, but if people are going to post highly controversial opinions, they should expect an abrupt response. Blaming careless driving on new rules is a good example, and as a vulnerable road user my self I am sick to death of people cowtowing to motorists and making poor excuses for poor driving as though they are some kind of deity, instead of accepting that when operating dangerous machinery, the primary duty of care is on that operator to avoid causing harm to others, which is the aim of the new rules. This has been in place on the continent for decades, the UK is just a bit behind (as usual).

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 10:48 »
I was out driving in my little car yesterday and could not believe what I saw.

A BMW drop top with the roof down (air temp around 2C) over took me.  The driver was male, late middle aged wearing no coat (I could only see a thin jumper - lambs wool type).  He was steering with his right hand and shaving with an electric razor with his left hand, checking his face in the rear view mirror.   Wish there’d been an unmarked police car around.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 13:29 »
Agree with your concern Aunty.
To clarify my initial caution over the new rules was nothing to do with their desirability but was more to do with the lack of publicity for them initially. There does now seem to be more in the papers. However I remain concerned about the standard of driving of a minority of drivers locally. Driving on a main road yesterday I was tailgated by a female driver because I was actually adhering to the speed limit!!
Turning into a side road requiring a speed of 20 miles an hour I gave up, pulled into the side of the road for a moment. I wasn’t surprised when the tailgating vehicle disappeared in a cloud of smoke driving at least double the limit for this road. Given the number of reports in our local paper of people being charged for driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs, I think I shall remain wary of other drivers!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 15:33 »
Sorry, but if people are going to post highly controversial opinions, they should expect an abrupt response.

I think you have missed the point of my post. People are allowed to express opinions. You are perfectly entitled to agree or disagree with them, but the site policies are about the way you choose to do so and are relevant in this case.

As I said, please keep it friendly. If you feel you cannot do so and don’t want to pulled up on it, the logical choice would be to not post.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 16:14 »

Sorry, but if people are going to post highly controversial opinions, they should expect an abrupt response. Blaming careless driving on new rules is a good example, and as a vulnerable road user my self I am sick to death of people cowtowing to motorists and making poor excuses for poor driving as though they are some kind of deity, instead of accepting that when operating dangerous machinery, the primary duty of care is on that operator to avoid causing harm to others, which is the aim of the new rules. This has been in place on the continent for decades, the UK is just a bit behind (as usual).

You have missed the point, al78.  The problem is not the content of the new regulations or careless drivers or even vulnerable road users, but is about the lack of information and publicity given to the changes before they came into force.  Meaning that accidents may be caused by this lack of awareness. 

So off yer high horse and back on yer bike, me dear !  ::)

xx
Driving Licence

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2020, 06:34
by GraciesGran
xx
driving licences

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:09
by jezza
xx
Driving when banned

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2018, 14:21
by mrs bouquet
xx
Renewing my Driving Licence

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2020, 14:40
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 55 queries.