Electric scooters… what do you think ?

• 47 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Electric scooters… what do you think ?
« on: July 24, 2021, 11:22 »
Worzel was nearly hid by an electric scooter on the footpath yesterday.  There have been deaths and serious injuries.

They won’t go away so how should they be regulated ?

mrs bouquet

Re: Electric scooters… what do you think ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 12:28 »
Very dangerous machines.   I wonder if they carry insurance !    Hope Wurzel is OK, a bit shaken up, I bet.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 12:40 »
I'm of a mind everything that moves quicker than a person can shouldn't be on the pavement. I see them regularly in the park here, ear pods in, gawping at their phone; they must be doing around 10mph expecting people to jump out of their way  :mad: I know they're supposed to be limited to 15mph but that's silly on a pavement when they approach silently from behind.

I just don't see how they can enforce any measures to legislate them, the ones around here are used by the local yooth they wont be buying insurance, wearing PPE and any limiters built in by manufacturers will be the first things removed.

I trust Worzel is ok, there are good reasons to carry a walking stick  ;)   I'm getting such a grouch in my old age  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 12:54 »
I'm of a mind everything that moves quicker than a person can shouldn't be on the pavement   I'm getting such a grouch in my old age  ::)
I agree, therefore I must be a grouch as well  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 15:12 »
Currently, it's against the law to use e-scooters anywhere other than private land, so it's a matter of law enforcement rather than how to regulate their use.

The law will no doubt change in time given that many of their fans regard them as an environmentally-friendly form of alternative transport. Hmm. :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 15:17 »
While I admit to using my electric bike on some of the pavements here, I always stop and dismount when I see a pedestrian, say 'Hi' then toddle off.

Kent County Council are hopeless at mending road potholes around drains, and some along the Rye Road are over an inch deep, so I have to steer round them, which shakes up the Growster-things more than somewhat... The pavements are much safer, but I don't usually ride on them, because if someone pops out of a drive, I'd be at fault.

When I go up to Highgate here, (the main street), I usually go around the lanes, but because these lanes are a designated rat-run for everyone, I'm still in some sort of 'danger', but being or sterner stuff, they get a wave when considerate, and a Harvey Smith if not!

But these scooters are difficult to assess. They shouldn't be on pavements, but who is there to tell them not too? It used to be the local copper (we had three once), but not any more!

I reckon a few shoves in the right direction could be quite a nce answer, but then I'd be arrested!

GraciesGran

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 16:16 »
Given that one appeared in the road in front of me and resulted in a jaw droppingly good emergency stop not a lot. 

The little love riding it had his ear phones in and was oblivious to the world.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 14:13 »
Personally I'm against anything that has wheels being used on a pavement except for prams especially if you can't hear them coming behind you or have bad hearing as many aren't as polite as Growster and think they have the priority to ride there.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 14:52 »
I guess that if lots more people drove them, and bikes etc, the roads would be much safer, as there would be so little room for morons to drive past at speed and make life difficult.

We went on holiday to a spot on the Belgian/Dutch border a few years ago, so we could explore on our bikes, and all the other pedal bikers took advantage of the level roads, and nobody complained!

I don't really like biking on wet roads, as puddles may be potholes, and potholes do even more damage to Growster-bits...

Longshanks

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 17:42 »
I think they're OK in the right environment, but that's not the pavement. I hate bikes on the pavement with a passion,especially when I'm shouted at to move. I've had many a lovely shouting match.

jezza

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 20:01 »
Hello all self powered equipment electric or petrol should be insured and or taxed,I have a mower that has had to be insured to cross roads and work on grass verges it is tax exempt because it is less than 650 kilos in weight, it's just recently had a flashing amber light fitted due to a couple of near misses  with electric buggies as I was mowing next to pavements,the driver if one was taking 6 dogs for a run all on extending leads     jezza

al78

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 21:52 »
I think they're OK in the right environment, but that's not the pavement. I hate bikes on the pavement with a passion,especially when I'm shouted at to move. I've had many a lovely shouting match.

If the pavement is shared use, cycling on it is permitted, but cyclists should give way to pedestrians and for the sake of safety alert any pedestrians to their presence. I've never had any issues cycling on shared use paths, people around my area are very good at letting me past after I ring my bell to let them know I am there. The only rare exceptions are the smart phone dumb users that wouldn't be aware of me if I had a ferry horn attached to my bike, but you have to learn to live with the oblivious.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 08:18 »
Are we talking scooters that you sit on if you have mobility issues or scooters that you stand on here. If so come on admit it as a kid you’d have loved one to stand on & as an adult you might need to have one of the others at some point.
Either way it’s as it always is & always will be, you get responsible people who care about others or tw@tswho don’t give a damn- I’m alright Jack,s@d anyone else
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 10:50 »
It’s the e-scooters that cause a problem. 

I don’t think anyone would object to mobility scooters.  Pedestrians have right of way on foot paths but who would not give way to them.  There but for fortune…

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 13:26 »
I have a pair of dark glasses and to the outer edges I've glued two small dental mirrors (sans handle).  I'll call it the seeback-o-scope!  Do I use them for defence or attack? ? ? >:(

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

clip
We're going all electric!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2019, 21:01
by Growster...
xx
Electric drills in reverse!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 26, 2021, 15:47
by grinling
xx
Electric and Gas Smart meters

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2017, 18:55
by jezza
xx
Electric carpet cleaner recommendations

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 17:24
by jaydig

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 51 queries.