Does anyone have this coop?

• 12 Replies

Willow_Warren

Does anyone have this coop?
« on: October 13, 2012, 20:08 »
Hello....

Looking for a new coop to replace my 4 year old cheap Chinese import (surprised it lasted this long).

I like the one on the Flyte so Fancy website but it is quite expensive at 439
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/The_Long-Legged_Maggie_s_Six_Hen_House.html

Came across this one on ebay that looks quite similar, but for a fair few less £££s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-Coop-Hen-House-Ark-Poultry-/140759291225?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item20c5e85559&_uhb=1#shId

Does anyone have experience of this any know what it's like, cleaning, build quality etc? Needs to suitable for my 5 hybrids.

Have looked locally but not with much success...

Thanks

Hannah  :)

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Does anyone have this coop?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 20:21 »
If it were me I would go with the cheaper option for 2 reasons mainly.
Firstly I can't see from the photo but the heart shape on the front lets in the light if it can't be closed, my cooks would be squarking to come out at the slightest hint of daylight, I could also imagine the ladder will get really grubby as it looks like it is also the door meaning when you lift it up depending on what surface you have the coop on it will possibly get really muddy.

Secondly if you want to get an automatic door opener at some point you can't do this with the first one (our automatic door is a life saver especially when we are away)

I love the products on the first web site but have found them hugely over priced

Just my thoughts
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 20:46 »
The cheaper one look surprisingly good value, and the auto door is a good price as well, I would prefer it to be higher off the ground, as it stops foxes trying and testing for weak spots night after night..... and scaring the chickens each night as they try, let us know how you get along whatever one you do chose... saying all that I built my own from scrap pallets for free, but I have an almost unlimited supply of timber
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:42 »
The ebay one does look really well made and very well thought out. If I were to choose between them I'd go for the ebay option.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 13:12 »
The ebay one does look good but you would need to change the catches on the nest box.  Mr Fox would soon swivel them round.  You might be best making a box up of the actual size of the coop to see how big it is physically.  Measurements can be deceptive. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 14:08 »
Sorry to throw a spanner in but i would go for the dog kennel with covered run , thats what i have for my girls and boy its fox safe etc and in the rain they have a very large dry area. my girls get let out when im home x
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 16:57 »
The ebay one does look good but you would need to change the catches on the nest box.  Mr Fox would soon swivel them round.  You might be best making a box up of the actual size of the coop to see how big it is physically.  Measurements can be deceptive. 

I had noticed that and is something that I was going to ask if it could be changed, at the minute it wouldn't matter too much as the coop I have now is placed inside a walk I run.

Think I will also go measure my current coop and see how it compares.

Thanks for everyones opinions, I think I will go for or at least investigate further the ebay one...

Hannah

jhub

• jane
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 00:21 »
Just catching up with the posts.
I remember the coop on eBay was previously reviewed on this forum and had really positive feedback. I spoke to the guy who makes them and he is really helpful.

Prod

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:41 »
I have the second one and like most people looked at loads before I bought.  Its the first time I have kept chickens so I have nothing to compare it to however for me it was a great compromise between a traditional.coop and a modern plastic one. It has an opaline roof  with natural ventilation, plastic floor so easy for cleaning and a really big rear door for access. I have 7 birds in it comfortably.  It is also on legs but I blocked 2 sides of it with boarding for extra shelter. The automatic door is brilliant  though a bit difficult to access the timer  but as I dont alter it that much  its not a major problem.  All th etimber is FSC(?)  and touch wood I have not had red mite this year.  Good luck with your choice.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23 »
Well I ordered the eBay one, and it should be here next week, so I'll update then....

I decided against the auto door opener as it seemed to only work on the timer and I'd like one that has a daylight sensor or combo of that and a timer, I'm sure I can add one later...

Hannah  :)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 15:26 »
Well I ordered the eBay one, and it should be here next week, so I'll update then....

I decided against the auto door opener as it seemed to only work on the timer and I'd like one that has a daylight sensor or combo of that and a timer, I'm sure I can add one later...

Hannah  :)

I just set my door to open as the sun rises and it closed when it is dark, no need for a daylight sensor when you know what time the sun comes up and goes down. Will look forward to hearing how the coop is  :)

Prod

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 20:41 »
The timer is a god send for me as my chickens are in a small field away from the house. During the day they free range  but at night and in the morning, they are contained with electric fencing.  It means they get out of the coop and they are still safe  till i switch of the fence and let them into the field.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 11:33 »
Well the coop arrived yesterday, not put it together yet but so far so good, looks well made and strong.  Think it could do with a coat of paint so I'll be trying to do that as it's a good drying day (WINDY and the first sun I've seem for at least a week!). Will take photos  :)

Hannah  :D

xx
Coop and run

Started by gabbo on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 20:31
by gabbo
xx
New Coop

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 20:41
by CluckyChicken
xx
How many to a coop?

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 13:23
by Bruced
xx
where to put coop/run

Started by bigaky on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 13:33
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.