Please help.. broody hen.

• 21 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Re: Please help.. broody hen.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 17:58 »
 :lol: :lol:
Being a real worrier too - I can confirm......that no-one does it better than the mother hen!!! All I did was provide food and water and watched her teaching them every single day!!! There's a lot to learn as a baby chick!!! It was amazing!!! Although I did nothing in the house for 2 weeks!!!!!!  :blush: :blush:

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 18:21 »
Aawwhh how cute are they and what lovely pics! I'm in love lol. I can just imagine being unable to get anything done in the house and just wanting to spend time watching mum and her chicks. She certainly looks like a wonderfully contented mummy hen.  :)

Jan.x

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 19:12 »
Jan - my husband was furious!!! I sat in the shed for two days.....just watching them all hatch!!! Then I sat outside with a deckchair.....for TWO WEEKS watching the lessons!!!  :D :D :D

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 22:32 »
OMG... my son has now seen the pics and is encouraging me.. watch this space! LOL! I don't think my hubby would mind too much either, he'd just read his usual books so wouldn't miss me all that much  :) Wonder if the other girlies would accept the babies easier than new girlies into the flock? We might have to think about a new broody coop as maybe babies would be in the way of girlies laying usual eggs? Oh it's so tempting  :)

Jan.x

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 22:42 »
Yes you would need to separate her off from the others - as one tried to steal her eggs and she also tried to steal the eggs they were laying and leave her own - so I moved her and all was fine!! She barely ate or drank for 21 days!!! I got quite worried but she looked fine. About a week or 2 after they were born I let them out into a run - still separate from the others - but they could see them. There was only animosity from one hen for a couple of days and then all settled. I went out on day 4....and 3 chicks had escaped from the run somehow......I thought they would continue to do so regardless and would be better with mum able to get to them to protect them!! That was it - all was fine!! She looked after them out in the garden and they all live happily now!!  :D :D :D

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 16:45 »
We've been pondering about an unused part of the garden close by the large pen. We thought it might be useful as a 'hospital' area or something. I can now see it being ideal as a mum and new babies area/cheche  :) I'll probably wait until the Winter is past though which gives us plenty of time to plan it out and get everything just right. Thank you redmolly for explaining how it worked for you and your girlie plus babies as it doesn't sound too daunting at all  :)

Jan.x

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 22:26 »
Good luck with that Jan!!! It's been the least undaunting part of it all to be honest!!! Amazing to stand back and watch!!  :D

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.