Sycamore Gap Tree Felled

• 11 Replies

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Sycamore Gap Tree Felled
« on: September 29, 2023, 08:57 »
I find the destruction of the Sycamore Gap tree on Hadrians Wall by a 16 year old boy a bit of a metaphor for the times in which we live. What do others think?

Goosegirl

Re: Sycamore Gap Tree Felled
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 09:10 »
I saw it just now on the news but missed who'd done it. Personally I'd make a temporary set of gallows, hang draw and quarter him then leave him to dangle.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: On a more rational note, is it me or did the cut surface of the trunk look heart-shaped? If so, it would be good to make something to remember it by, so why not use the felled wood to create a circular bench to go round the stump then somehow fashion a heart-shaped memorial of some sort and fix it onto the top of the stump. Only true traditional woodworkers need apply and, to attach it to the stump, my vote goes to Nev the blacksmith extraordinaire who sometimes does work for Drew Pritchard on the show "Salvage Hunters; the restorers." That man has a talent beyond belief, and is so in tune with nature that some things he's created has made me shed a tear or two.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 09:24 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 09:47 »
When the destruction of century old landmark is the least troubling news of the day I think it's pretty obvious it's time to start looking for lighthouse operator jobs on uninhabited islands.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 11:29 »
Worzel knows a bit or two about tree felling and from what he saw on the news it was a very professionally done job.  As for the young man’s vandalistic moral attitude, that’s a totally different issue - 300years community service would get my vote.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 15:28 »
Moronic.. thats all!!
Apparently from what I read earlier the tree may grow back by coppicing from new shoots, but it will never be the same again.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 18:50 »
Someone has “Gorilla planted” a new sycamore tree.  Good for them !

The National Trust say they are going to remove it  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 20:31 »
Someone has “Gorilla planted” a new sycamore tree.  Good for them !

The National Trust say they are going to remove it  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
I'm sure they'd rather wait for the original to regenerate, it just needs some patience.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 08:36 »
That's not the point. The sapling looks like a well-planted job and should be either left where it is or moved nearby. That was a very thoughtful and kind thing to do and should be respected as such.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 10:18 »
That's not the point. The sapling looks like a well-planted job and should be either left where it is or moved nearby. That was a very thoughtful and kind thing to do and should be respected as such.

Well that is one opinion, but to say leave the original tree to regenerate is another and certainly just as valid.

Personally I hope the tree regrows as a twin trunk in a V shape, just to let the idiot that cut it down know that nature can outwit them any old time it chooses  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 11:38 »
This type of act is usually described as mindless vandalism, but I believe the perpetrators are actually minded to enjoy damaging or destroying other people's property, knowing full well what upset it will cause (in that sense whoever did it presumably thinks he's hit the jackpot.  :()

If it goes to court and the perpetrator is found guilty, I would recommend a sentence of at least 300 hours of intensive community tree-planting!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 14:02 »
Regarding the new tree planted, I understand the position of the National Trust, event though I am sure the "guerrilla planters" meant well. If the stump sprouts a new scion, does that tree get to remain, and the new one cut down? Or vice-versa?  Does planting the tree potentially disturb buried historic artifacts that are near the wall? Also, does it open the door to people planting anything they want at other historic sites or landmarks? 

I'm reminded of a recent case in Texas where vandals scratched graffiti into a stone cliff wall containing petroglyphs thousand of years old (site on public land). Professionals painstakingly did what they could to preserve what remained, far better than to have well-meaning amateurs try to remove the damage.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 15:25 »
I get your point SP and well said.

xx
Tree plantation

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2022, 07:03
by jezza
xx
I just see the first ********* tree advert

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

25 Replies
Last post September 20, 2020, 08:26
by New shoot
xx
Lady Tree Surgeon

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2019, 17:14
by mrs bouquet
xx
Tree pollen allergy

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 19:55
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 52 queries.