Added too much sugar

• 7 Replies

grinling

Added too much sugar
« on: November 16, 2011, 15:50 »
Put in twice as much, can anything be done. It is fermenting, lots of tiny bubbles. Help!!!
I will get to grips with wine making I keep telling myself.

crh75

Re: Added too much sugar
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 16:57 »
Difficult to say without more information on the recipe.  If it is fermenting it might be OK but will probably end sweet.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 17:33 »
How much are you making?

When I've done that, I just put half of it into another demijohn, and added whatever was needed to eventually make double the quantity (like grape juice, or kit stuff).

Yes, you may be in for more expense, and that often can be a problem, forking out a few more quid, it is a way round your problem.

I understand if you have five gals, and need another fermenter, that may be a bit steep, but with one demijohn, and you have a spare one, you should be OK!

Keep asking what you need, and we surely can tell you how to solve it - and don't whatever you do chuck it away!

Good luck!

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 19:45 »
I agree, don't throw it away, you may have invented something!!  Let us know how you get on :)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

grinling

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 20:25 »
It is a definitive medium red wine. It was just the grape juice and it did say add super yeast, but I only have normal wine yeast. It isn't yet at demi jon level as you add water to it on day 3. I put 500g of sugar instead of 250g. Should I get a small can of grape juice also definitive.
If I top up to 4.54l then divide, add half juice to each and top up withwarm water, should I add more yeast to both as well?
Thank you for your knowledge.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58 »
All you really need to do Grin, is get another can of the juice, and add that to the same demijohn, in which you have the first can, plus double the sugar. If you have to add anything else, like citric acid etc, then put that in as well.

Then, just divide the two by putting half what you have into another demijohn, therefore making not one, but two complete fermentations.

The yeast should pick up, but if it doesn't for any reason, you can make up a starter bottle (Google that), and start both demijohns again.

But I reckon they'll both get going, whether you used super yeast or not! So, you'll finish up with two gals instead of one, and all the happier for that!

Keep going, you're nearly there!

grinling

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:47 »
Thanks for this, I have now divided, only had room on the heat mat for one of them, but the other is next to it with a thick towel around it.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 17:14 »
Thanks for this, I have now divided, only had room on the heat mat for one of them, but the other is next to it with a thick towel around it.

Good idea Grin!

Bubble wrap does the same thing too I've found, but you'll be fine now.

Obviously, you'll have two gals now so top them both up with water when they say you should, (if you haven't done so already)!

xx
Brewing sugar or Ordinary sugar

Started by n.b83 on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 00:36
by ohbeary
xx
Sugar

Started by bearhugger1972 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 21:54
by bearhugger1972
xx
Palm Sugar

Started by Markw on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 16:15
by Markw
xx
How Much Sugar In Sloe Gin

Started by Uffda on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 19:44
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.