Winter Squash

• 8 Replies

Marcus10

Winter Squash
« on: September 10, 2012, 17:20 »
Hi, this is my first year growing  squash (winter squash Autumn Crown F1), as it is my first year growing most things! My first fruit looks like it has been fertilised, since it is starting to grow and the flower has dropped off. Now i know that my courgettes would only take less than a week to grow to harvest point from here but how long would a sqash typically take.

Also it looks like several other flowers have been fertilzed. How many fruit should I have on one plant. Should I limit this to a certan number eg 6, to give them all a chance  to grow.

Thanks from a novice.

Trillium

Re: Winter Squash
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 17:27 »
Once pollinated, a winter squash needs at least 2 months to mature. And yes, once you're sure the 'fruit' is growing, limit them to about 3 per vine by nipping off the vine just past the last set of fruit leaves. You'll still need to feed and water the plant (if not enough rain) so it can bulk up properly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 17:46 »
Medwyn says about 5 fruits per plant
http://medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/shop/prod_334.html

but I don't where you live (please add a location to your profile) to hazard a guess at how long they still have to grow  :unsure:

Marcus10

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 17:58 »
Thanks. I have modified my profile. I live in the SW so I will try five pumpkin. (and I'm confident of a long Indian Summer!)

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 18:55 »
would this be the same for butternut squash do you know?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 19:04 »
butternuts usually need warmer weather than the other squash, unless they're bred for the UK climate, so you may not be so lucky with them.
I've got 4 on my Harrier (UK bred), so far, with no sign of any more setting  :(

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 19:35 »
Ive got three plants and one so far has about 6 with more flowers on - largest fruit about the fist of my hand - do i now need to limit anymore setting and they could take 2 months? If so im sure the frost will get them before then :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 19:45 »
Do wot Trillium suggests - Wakefield and Canada might be a long way apart but barring a miracle summer is running out of time now in the UK and any newly-set fruits will probably not only not do well but reduce the chances of the others which are now getting near to developing and ripening properly doing well too.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 21:39 »
butternuts usually need warmer weather than the other squash, unless they're bred for the UK climate, so you may not be so lucky with them.
I've got 4 on my Harrier (UK bred), so far, with no sign of any more setting  :(

Mine seem to have suddely sprung into production and there are several small ones with more female flowers coming along. 

I just let them run until the frosts come, and it does not seem to affect the size of the fruits at all tbh   ???  In  a good year I can have six or seven really good sized ones per plant, in a poor year lucky to get one.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Winter Squash

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 05:08
by Paul Plots
xx
Winter Squash

Started by Tomatofreak on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
When to harvest winter squash?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 19:35
by mumofstig
xx
growing winter squash

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2019, 09:34
by New shoot

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.