moving rhubarb -advice

• 8 Replies

hammers07

moving rhubarb -advice
« on: June 05, 2012, 20:59 »
I need to move a rhubarb plant as its growing into the next allotment plot . Are they sturdy enough to just uproot and plant elsewhere ?
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: moving rhubarb -advice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 21:09 »
A large section from my Dad's rhubarb was dug up and moved to my plot.The root was thicker than my thigh, and hadn't been disturbed for 40 years.

It had a lot of tlc, with well rotted manure dug in, and leaf mould mulch, but with the crown left uncovered. Well soaked every month too.

This was in September 2 years ago and it is fine.

Not sure about moving it at this time in the year though -- it would need a lot of water, and a year resting next year too without any stalks being pulled.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 21:24 »
i was given some early last year  put it in and soaked it early on and no harvest last year i did wonder weather it survived but then a great crop this year :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 21:50 »
If possible, don't move it now - wait until it's the dormant phase at the end of the year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sarajane

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 23:03 »
Best wait if possible to the autumn.  If we get a miraculous hot spell it will surely struggle to survive

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 00:43 »
I dug one out and plonked it on the compost heap a couple of feet away. I'm now the proud  :nowink: owner of two of the lovely things.  ::)

Both are shaking hands leaves and stalks across the path making it difficult to get by!

If I were you I'd simply pull all the leaves / stems on the side that is encroaching the other plot and, as advised already, wait until the autumn when it's cooler then start digging and digging and digging until you remove every bit of the root.

Replant with loads of organic matter, mulch and keep moist.......it'll recover well.

Good luck!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:43 »
Lift in Autumn, break-up the crown and leave the roots on the surface over winter.  Separate the viable roots and plant in the new location in Spring.

But first.. check if your neighbour objects to it where it is.  Good rhubarb may make good neighbours!

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:30 »
Lift in Autumn, break-up the crown and leave the roots on the surface over winter.  Separate the viable roots and plant in the new location in Spring.

But first.. check if your neighbour objects to it where it is.  Good rhubarb may make good neighbours!

Nice bit of advice that... about the neighbours..  ;)

I moved a rhubarb plant from my parents old bungalow to their new one sometime in March this year as my 92 year old mum suddenly annouced she wanted it! It's picked up and showing new leaf growth despite almost drying out completely when it was left out of the ground for a week or so. Amazingly tough things especially when you don't want them.  :lol:

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:50 »
i lifted 5 crowns a few years ago from a neighbour's plot around July time, just when the most stalks had wilted down off the plant and the stalks remaining were too thick and unpleasant to eat.

I didnt really take much care over the transplanting- I simply dug deepish, got what I could out of the ground and popped them into my plot - and the last cpl years have had a great crop of rhubarb. 

xx
Moving Rhubarb

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 17:40
by Trillium
xx
Moving rhubarb

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 16:25
by dazza
xx
Moving Rhubarb

Started by nothinghasdiedyet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 19:57
by Trillium
xx
moving rhubarb

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 12:53
by DD.

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 35 queries.