A sad milestone today

• 19 Replies

Growster...

Re: A sad milestone today
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 17:15 »
Certainly right, John, and all I think of is an enormous spreadsheet somewhere in London, making statistics fit a programme which included the costs of furlough, real panic, indecision etc, when absolutely nobody could forecast what would happen just about anywhere! There were some hard decisions to make, and all of them would have been (and were usually), torn apart by the press and most other commentators. Politics went out of the window of course!

I just remember Excel (an enormous place for many previous commercial Growster 'triumphs'), being re-designed as a huge field hospital, and then wondering how it just became a contingency 'in case'.

All I thought was, 'if you're ill, be told to stay away and be treated off-pitch'!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 17:32 »
Still think we could all have done with the open windows/fresh air approach that was used for TB when I was young.
I remember Mum going to see someone (can't remember who now, though) in the local TB hospital, while I waited in the gardens. All the windows were wide open, and some people had been wheeled outside in their beds  :ohmy: in the middle of winter! They certainly got a lot of fresh air that way ::)

People don't like cold fresh air so much, nowadays though :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 18:01 »
Just remembered a line from a book I read as a youngster, where a chap couldn't join the RAF, as he had once caught TB.

He just said '****** that', went to Canada, worked as a logger in the still cold air in the hills for a year, came back and was accepted immediately!

(Sometimes a good read in a good book means so much later on, doesn't it)!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 18:55 »
Still think we could all have done with the open windows/fresh air approach that was used for TB when I was young.
I remember Mum going to see someone (can't remember who now, though) in the local TB hospital, while I waited in the gardens. All the windows were wide open, and some people had been wheeled outside in their beds  :ohmy: in the middle of winter! They certainly got a lot of fresh air that way ::)

People don't like cold fresh air so much, nowadays though :nowink:

I read an article yesterday which was referring to the factors which influenced transmission, and steps taken in some countries in the Far East as a result of their previous experience with similar viruses.  The essential comment was that the role of ventilation was still being vastly underestimated here in the West - it was even more important than social distancing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 21:15 »
My friend who works in a school tells me they’re having the windows open all the time & are having to wrap up well
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Today I'm going to ...

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

261 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 14:33
by Growster...
xx
But today got better !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 19:00
by grinling
xx
Saw something sweet today

Started by azubah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:53
by mumofstig
xx
Today's Bargain?

Started by Elaine G on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2018, 15:59
by JayG

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 45 queries.