foxes

• 20 Replies

dustcartkev

foxes
« on: March 22, 2015, 16:10 »
hi all, the foxes keep digging holes all over my plot, i thought it was cats but the chap that lives next to my plot have seen them at it. someone said leave them as they will get fed up, i dont think so as i have had this problem for ages, really getting fed up with this now as i dont know what to do. please help >:( :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: foxes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 16:22 »
Do you use Fish blood and bone? I had to stop using it because foxes were digging my plot up trying to find buried goodies.

Some people say they dig the same if you use chicken manure pellets, but I use them and the foxes don't dig for them on my plot. Touches wood!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 16:44 »
I had to stop using FBB years ago because of foxes, and had some trouble using dried chicken poo too, although I suspect that was the cubs who had yet to learn it tasted like you-know-what.  ;)

I've even had problems with my latest tub of Growmore, which is supposed to be completely inorganic yet unaccountably smells of, yes, chicken poo!

Since last year I've had badgers digging holes too!  :ohmy:

Both seem to be deterred effectively by netting thrown over the areas in question, at least until the pong has disappeared.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 17:01 »
i get the fox if i use chicken pellet manure

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 17:25 »
Hi,

I have the same trouble with foxes too wasn't sure what was doing it.  It hasn't been quite as bad lately, I was told by an old boy plot holder to fill up enough milk containers with wee (male is best) and put it once or twice twice a week if it rains around the outside of your plot boundaries to mark your territory.

I've been doing it for a month now, it's gone down from about 10 holes a week to 2 or 3  I'm trying it around the worse areas to see if it helps more.

Hope this may be of some help.

Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

dustcartkev

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 18:12 »
thanks for  all advice, i dont use blood fish and bone meal, and not chicken pallets. so dont know why the little sods keep digging i will give the wee a go though, so just wee in the cartons and put them all around my plot. many thanks as i am so fed up with all my veg getting dug up day after day. :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 19:08 »
I am touching wood as I type this, but I sling handfuls of chilli powder down which seems to work.

I have been putting FBB in with the snowdrops as I replant and then I put large handfuls of chilli down and so far, so good.

Touches wood again.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 19:18 »
Yep just straight in the bottle  :)

dustcartkev

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 19:23 »
thats great, better  get some beer down my neck then i can wee for England, thanks again

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 23:47 »
Not sure if its foxes went to the allotment today found one of my strawberry's gone from my bed just a hole there and the other five not touched, between the beds I found three more holes.

I don't use anything on my beds only horse manure, and between my beds the path is just shavings of woos and pine

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:54 »
Foxes on our site dig my beds and paths looking for worms and grubs. Sometimes a plant that was in the way completely disappears. No idea what they do with them - particularly things like kolrabi!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:58 »
Foxes dug up some of my newly-planted seed potatoes a few years ago (the dried chicken poo problem again plus no netting) - I found some of them about 20 feet away, although I suspect they were propelled rather than carried there!

dustcartkev

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 14:37 »
yep that is what i get all the time. and is so frustrating i have tried netting but they just pull it down.  >:(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 15:28 »
I wonder whether putting a bowl of dried chicken poo out near the area that's been fertilised might help them work out what to avoid wasting time digging up? (they are supposed to be smart creatures after all!)  :unsure:

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 17:09 »
Basil and his mates jump on the netting hoops, I have started grating really cheap smelly soap and putting it round the paths and now I'm also using coffee grounds a lit they seem a little put off and have not been as active.

If I try using BFB or Chicken pellets they just go mad, so I'm going to add the Coffee grounds and soap at the same time hopefully to confuse their little noses. 

xx
foxes

Started by worzel gummidge on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 09:17
by corndolly
xx
Foxes

Started by Chris C on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 00:00
by pigeonpie
xx
Foxes

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull
xx
Foxes...

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 08:35
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.