What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 16:07 »
Put a nice bit of compost onto the bed where the garlic is going to be transplanted to soon and then foolishly turned the heap. Bit sore from that, nice hot bath shortly!
The good news is that most of the heap is usuable compost now so over the next few weeks I'll get it out onto the beds.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:40 by Plot 1 Problems »

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 11:13 »
We've got a shovel and some trugs coming in the post maybe arriving today so Husband can fill buckets with the stable manure and then tip them into the trugs in the boot. Drive to the allotment then empty them into the wheelbarrow at the plot. We might be able to do 2 runs in a morning rather than the 1 we are doing. Quicker than filling small bags that can be easily carried. It's less than an hour for him to fill the boot in our current inefficient manner.

Ugh me for not having the confidence to ask will they move it if we pay them.

I hope the council gets back to us, do they need samples or we need to dispose of the contaminated soil especially?

Aled

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 20:15 »
A pile of soil conditioner and wood ash added a couple of days ago before this rain arrived!
Its a start.
Cheers
Aled

Andrew Kent

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 10:16 »
Raked the soil, added to compost and moved the shed.

Finished prepping a bed ready to plant out new raspberry canes tomorrow hopefully.

This is what I've been waiting to do but my usual go-to, one-man-band nursery has been closed every time I've turned up. So I carried on to the local garden centre and got scared by the price of their canes so didn't buy.
For comparison when I've asked him previously how much for raspberry canes he's said £3 for a bundle of 4 which is very fair - going to the garden centre and they're £15 for pot grown (or bare root stuffed in a pot probably)!

So no fruit canes in my soon to be fruit patch yet even though now would be a great time for planting bare root ones.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 18:48 »
Collected three bags of seaweed and used one to mulch around the garlic. I also harvested leeks and parsnips and weeded out some couch grass. OH had a walk around the plot and supervised the kids on the trampoline.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 09:02 »
Yesterday, collected another boot of manure. Dug our plants out of the reallocated plot and heeled them into the replacement. Rounded up the bamboo canes and chicken wire also. Then put the dangerous rusty tools back in their shed. We still have the rusty broken saw to get out of the corner of our shed.

Today due to wind we're digging out a scalped gooseberry so they don't accuse of injuring them when they trip over it, retrieving more plants and then moving to the side the boards and random flag stones we were using as border edging and paths amongst the weeds and hidden hazards. Yes, the plot was a bit of a hazard. Hazards like posts with nails, grass /nettle/fireweed hidden boards/ flags/ broken tiles/rusty tools/sticks/ wire and bricks etc. A relative of the plot neglecters was in the building trade and dumped stuff in random places and plants grew over them. If I've time the two black berries will go in side by side on the top plot.

Hours later I have realised I forgot to post this, so update.
We got the gooseberry and rest of our plants out and heeled in. Bright spark here forgot the ribosomal powder and fruit feed so the big gooseberry and friends from having limbs buried are just heeled in. Fork is now on it's way out. The pair of Karaka Blacks didn't make it in, but we've figured out where to place them. Looking over the plot we've decided where to put them so that's an asap job. Tomorrow the Jostaberry is going to live with Youngest's teacher so that's one less to plant. Most of the boards were lifted, rusty saw in their shed, just the tiles left. The second composter is out of the garage and up to the allotment but it's in our locked shed until we get the top plot weeded enough to get a heap to hold it in place.

We checked on the rotavator and spotted that the thief broke their trug so I hope we don't get blamed for it.

The plot plants like the gooseberries will go into the top part of the bottom plot with a lot of manure and the bought ones, in the newest plot.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 14:29 by WeavingGryphon »

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 18:01 »
Run the hoe through the mulch as the weeds are growing! And started to clear around the fruit bushes.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 18:13 »
Dumped a couple of loads of compost onto one of the beds and then dug up my feeble parsnips. They've run deep but are very narrow shouldered.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 20:27 »
Four bags of seaweed collected and spread.

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 20:50 »
Pruned the autumn raspberries, chopped them into manageable pieces & put in the wheelbarrow to bring home tomorrow for shredding,weeded part of the bed that wasn’t frozen, harvested parsnips & leeks, cleared up some sunflower stems that were still standing, they’ll get chopped into transportable pieces to bring home to be shredded.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 21:11 »
Added some more kitchen waste to the compost heap, then sprog and I decided it was for too cold to do anything and we went home. The ground was still frozen at 3pm on our site.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 22:06 »
Got the Glen Lyon aka 1/3 of the bare root raspberries planted in a new made but unfinished bed. That is 3 sides 1.9m wide, 2.4m long with planks in, the grass removed  and Growmore, remin and manure forked in. The ribosomal powder was just put in the holes with the plants. It was previously a potato bed and had been recently forked over so we got loads done. We also got loads of little potatoes out of it. It's amazing the difference between the soil in the two plots. I think Husband quite liked being able to make such fast progress.

Border is 1.9 wide and so far 2.4m long, the open end will be extended over the next week to 7.5m approx-planks dependant, we'll put the end on the bed once all the varieties are planted. Doing a variety at a time in alphabetical order. So from bottom-top Lyon, Erika (4x pots), Doll and Ample. 10x of each.

Karaka Black, still not been planted.

snowdrops

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 08:10 »
Yesterday was another 2 hours of clearing up last years debris, it’s starting to look a lot better already. I trundled the barrow Home ready to shred the prunings & return to the compost bins, plus I contacted the manure lady & ordered some bags of well rotted, for the beds & some fresh to add to the bins.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 09:08 »
plus I contacted the manure lady

I need a manure lady!
Ches

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 12:10 »
Today was a manure run with subsequent dump of it on the raspberry bed. There was a bit of a bed extension -1 board put in and more boards measured to go in. But no plants put in. Time constraints.
Tomorrow.... Erika and maybe Glen Doll since we do have quite a bit of manure there.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 54 queries.