kol rabi and baby turnip

• 12 Replies

JohnB47

kol rabi and baby turnip
« on: April 07, 2014, 18:11 »
I might have a go at these this year but I have some questions.

First, will I need to cover these plants? I hope not - it's such a palava.

Second, are there particular varieties of each that grow small or is it just a case of lifting them at the size wanted, like beetroot?

Thanks for any advice.

Christine

Re: kol rabi and baby turnip
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 18:19 »
I treat them the same as beetroot, they grow quite happily that way. Just don't leave the khol rabi too long or they can turn woody on you.

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 19:16 »
I treat them the same as beetroot, they grow quite happily that way. Just don't leave the khol rabi too long or they can turn woody on you.

Thanks - so, no need to cover?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 22:04 »
I have to net my kohlrabi or the flying rats eat every bit of the leaves.

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 22:31 »
I have to net my kohlrabi or the flying rats eat every bit of the leaves.

Dag nabbit. Ok, how tall do these little fellers grow - to the top of the leaves I mean. About a foot?

Still hopeful of some recommendations.
Ta.

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 22:46 »
I'm growing this for the first time this year as it is part of the brassica family I assume all the normal precautions are required :-(.

In terms of varieties grown for different sizes I think you just lift as and when you want them but smaller tends to be better to prevent them going woody.

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:25 »
I'm growing this for the first time this year as it is part of the brassica family I assume all the normal precautions are required :-(.

In terms of varieties grown for different sizes I think you just lift as and when you want them but smaller tends to be better to prevent them going woody.

Thanks. Just been looking at pictures of khol rabi - very odd. I thought the swolen bit grew at soil level, like beetroot, not a few inches up on the stalk.

surbie100

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:30 »
They look like mini-aliens.  :D

I grow purple ones - Ballot F1, and I have just got some Azur ones from RealSeeds for when the Ballot seeds run out.

They get to 12-18 inches high tops. Any bigger and most likely the bulbs will be too big and past their best.

I usually end up eating at least a few on the plot. The leaves are good as greens too.

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 17:23 »
They look like mini-aliens.  :D

I grow purple ones - Ballot F1, and I have just got some Azur ones from RealSeeds for when the Ballot seeds run out.

They get to 12-18 inches high tops. Any bigger and most likely the bulbs will be too big and past their best.

I usually end up eating at least a few on the plot. The leaves are good as greens too.

Thanks. Searching for Realseeds is a bit problematic - I don't really want to grow cannabis! And when I found the correct site, it's an £8 minimum order - not for me.

ghost61

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 20:44 »
I was brought up on kohl rabi and they are best eaten golf ball size.  Slice them, steam, and serve with a peppery white sauce, or steam and then smother in melted butter.  Yum.  Seeds can be got post free from DT Brown.  Cover them as per brassicas against pigeons, slugs, caterpillars etc etc!

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 15:20 »
I was about to start a thread on kohl rabi versus baby turnips but maybe, seeing as this one has already been started, this might be the best place. Sorry for hijacking your thread JohnB7 if my invasion is out of place.

I have two square metres of space in my brassica patch and was pondering on the merits of baby turnips versus kohl rabi. If you had this much space, would you grow both or just one? And if just one, which one? I've never grown either so have no idea.

Thanks for any advice.

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 15:28 »
I've never eaten baby turnip and never cooked kohlrabi either - think I might need to widen my eating experience!  :D Ballot ones can safely go to tennis ball size without going woody. Which is just right as a snack to share. Small Child thinks they are 'genius'.

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 16:53 »
I was about to start a thread on kohl rabi versus baby turnips but maybe, seeing as this one has already been started, this might be the best place. Sorry for hijacking your thread JohnB7 if my invasion is out of place.

I have two square metres of space in my brassica patch and was pondering on the merits of baby turnips versus kohl rabi. If you had this much space, would you grow both or just one? And if just one, which one? I've never grown either so have no idea.

Thanks for any advice.

No problem, the more the merrier.

I've just ordered some turnip armand seeds and some kohl rabi olivier from dt brown. I'm planning to see how a small quantity of each sown soon turn out and will plant more of my favourites in June/July for a later crop. The only downside is the need to cover.

xx
kohl Rabi or turnip

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 22:52
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Best Baby Turnip?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 23:36
by Pimento
xx
Turnip

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 15:52
by Anton
xx
turnip

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 11:02
by Tom Hill

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.