ducks and incubation

• 4 Replies

buttony22

ducks and incubation
« on: January 16, 2012, 19:19 »
i bought 2 Aylesbury ducklings July last year in the hope i had 2 girls for eggs.  As time has gone by Jemima has become Donald and i love them dearly. we recently started having eggs from them and i would love to incubate some as my grandson wants ducks with his chickens...... Daisy lays her egg and leaves it how soon do i need to take the egg to make it a viable duckling ..................
 :D

Sassy

Re: ducks and incubation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43 »
According to my duck book you can remove the eggs and store for up to  a week and then put them in the incubator - this is so that you have a group that will hatch together. A word of warning, are your ducks related? If so it may not be the best idea to breed from them but to buy some fertile eggs in. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mickle

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 15:23 »
Hello buttony22
Collect as soon as they are laid, disinfect them, store point down in a cool (roughly 55deg F/ Humidity around 80%) place, you can keep them in these conditions for a week before incubating, after a week the fertility starts dropping, candle after week to make sure they are fertile, if clear they are still ok to eat.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 22:41 »
AS Mickie says with the exception that I wouldn't recommend eating them after a weeks incubation. The heat seems to change their nature and make them liquid and unpleasant.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Mickle

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:01 »
AS Mickie says with the exception that I wouldn't recommend eating them after a weeks incubation. The heat seems to change their nature and make them liquid and unpleasant.

The terriers and Black Lab didn't complain and they ate them by the dozen, never tried them myself always liked them fresh and free range.

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Day 2 of incubation

Started by Runnerduckkeeper on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 14:53
by muntjac
xx
Incubation

Started by chicksforkicks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2007, 11:20
by psipower
question
incubation

Started by waffles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 14:00
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.