Recovering a cheap polytunnel

• 8 Replies

Chris Suddell

Recovering a cheap polytunnel
« on: October 02, 2019, 06:56 »
Hi,

I have a cheap 3x3m poly tunnel the green cover type.  I'd like to recover it, however I'm not sure how I will get the cover drum tight?  Just wondered if anyone here had done this before?  The frame is 28mm galvanized steel, with a steel base rail around the bottom.  However there is no height adjustment, so I wont be able to lift the frame to tighten the cover.

Any thoughts?

snow white

Re: Recovering a cheap polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:56 »
My husband made a wooden frame.  If you google it you will find a tutorial for a wooden frame and also other methods of doing it. 

Plot94

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 16:55 »
I have re-covered both my tunnels using the frame method. You will need to buy fixing brackets, available from first tunnels (and others), which you attach to a wooden frame around the base, don't tighten up fully. Then fit your cover to the frame, pulling it as tight as you can get, to really stretch the new cover you then use your foot to push down the wooden frame and tighten all your brackets and hey presto nice tight cover.
There are various tutorials on U Tube which will show you how, but I did this on my own for a 6mx2.4m tunnel without too much hassle (make sure you pick a nice calm day)  :D

jambop

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 19:30 »
I bought a really cheap ~ €110 poly tunnel about four years back and it has been very good value. Unfortunately it now needs new cover but the replacement only costs €79  so I will order and replace. It is a shame 99% of the cover is sound but for whatever reason there is a join and between the two main pieces of plastic the joining piece has deteriorated and ripped... still €100 for four years... no brainer !

jezza

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 20:03 »
Hello try Northern Polytunells for the cover dig a trench round the out side 12 inches deep a spades width check to see if there's an adjuster under the ground if there is remove pins dig behind upright put sheet over the tunnel  into the trench to the width of the trench back fill trench right round firming the ground then place a bottle jack under the lower bar and slowly Jack up this should tighten the sheet check adjuster to find next hole and replace pin   jezza

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 21:13 »
I think I got my cover from Northern as well, still going strong after a couple of years despite my bodged homebuilt frame :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 09:21 »
intend to agree with plot 94 a wooden frame seems the best idea I've always put my poly sheets in the ground i looked on youtube and I'm going with the wooden frame method because it saves digging a trench and one can tighten the sheet if needed better with a wooden frame

we  have a 20ft poly tunnel cover to replace but I'm hanging on till the warmer weather and a still day because i understand its recommended that the sheet will tighten better on a warmer day and yes you need it drum tight

jezza

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 13:11 »
Hello remember to get some special tape that goes on the frame to stop the polythene shovelling when the frame gets hot jezza

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 17:18 »
I presume you mean anti-hot spot tape and  I also bought clear /joining repair tape [ LBS]

xx
polytunnel...

Started by radster on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 05:07
by fuzzy1983
xx
Polytunnel

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 23:43
by muntjac
xx
Using a polytunnel

Started by Kathie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 17:28
by Kathie
xx
Diy polytunnel

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2019, 16:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 47 queries.