Hen now leaving chick

• 1 Replies

PaulineM

Hen now leaving chick
« on: May 02, 2011, 20:37 »
Hi
My chick is now 34 days old and mum has been leaving the chick more over the past couple of days, today Mum has started to lay again but as it got later she went to bed with all the other hens leaving her chick calling for her. Up to now I have always let Mum decide what to do and when, but I did intervene tonight by lifting her back out of the main coop and putting her in with the chick in their own cage.
The flock has accepted the chick being out and about but the top hen does have a go at it still. I don't think the chick is big enough yet to put into the main coop but is it big enough to sleep on its own?  :( It would be in a cage on a stable floor covered with bedding.
Help!!!
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

Re: Hen now leaving chick
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 20:47 »
Hello PaulineM,
does your chick have its full feathers yet?  It sounds as if mother has decided that she has done enough.  I would be reluctant to leave the chick on its own.  If it has its full feathers and can jump up onto the perch I would try putting it in with the other hens.  However I am not that experienced and I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to give you advice.  Good Luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

angry
leaving chook alone?

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 15:37
by woodside farm
xx
Leaving my Girls

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 21:28
by Jellyhead
xx
leaving your girls!?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 10:43
by scrappydoo
xx
leaving food out 24/7

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 18:08
by karlooben

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.