CPH Registration

• 7 Replies

Prod

CPH Registration
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:45 »
Hi  I am thinking of getting 1 or 2 kune kune or micro pigs but I have been told I need  a CPH registration number before buying them, not a  problem as it is free, however a couple of sites I checked out said that you need a CPH number for keeping chickens, even if you just keep one as a pet  Does anyone know anything about this please???  Thanks

compostqueen

Re: CPH Registration
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27 »
You only need registration with Defra for chooks if you have 50 or more

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 13:36 »
CQ is right.  Some people spout out a lot of things that they know nothing about.

Having a CPH number is really easy.  Just found out where your nearest DEFRA office is.  The main DEFRA phone number told us ours was Lincoln.  They were really helpful.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:11 »
Do be aware that applying for a CPH number unleashes a whole host of paperwork. It is easy to follow but intrusive and the helplines at local council level are helpful. I have not used the DEFRA helpline myself but have not heard good reports. However, I would not let this put me off. I did it all for 4 pet lambs last year - and very tasty they were too!! I'm jealous as I would love pigs but our land and some recent severe flooding means I feel I can't risk it. Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:59 »
I made one phonecall to the main DEFRA phone number and they sorted it for me. Sent it out in the post and had me registered in under 2 weeks. I havent made use of it yet but have it just incase. I have under 50 chickens and no other livestock yet. Its really just a way of keeping track of possible diseases and infections since the foot and mouth saga. Im guessing if there was something in your area they would call you and let you know, I imagine. But then again that would be far too logical for any government department.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 14:23 »
Thanks for your replies guys.  I have applied  but in Wales you have to ring a different number than Defra. He said he would send out the form and, provided I send it back straight away, I should have it within 10days.  I only want the pigs as pets, couldnt 'chop' 'em!!!  but the farmer next door, who keeps sheep on the field next to mine, says I can have a lamb if any are orphaned and I am prepared to nurse it.  Not sure about keeping a sheep though as they seem to have more problems healthwise.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 15:18 »
Its really just a way of keeping track of possible diseases and infections since the foot and mouth saga. Im guessing if there was something in your area they would call you and let you know, I imagine. But then again that would be far too logical for any government department.

The County Parish Holding number is somewhat older than "the foot and mouth saga", but exactly which one of those you refer to, I'm not sure but I presume you may mean 2001.

It contains specific information about the location (county, parish, farm and can be sub-divided further by field or flock/herd) of the stock and is used to identify holdings where there are cattle, sheep, pigs or goats (or over 50 poultry) and it is vital in tracking movement of those animals.

A quickly visible check of the relevant information is on the ear tag, which cows, sheep, pigs and goats will have if there has been any movement from the holding where they were born.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:41 »
Do be aware that it would be unkind to keep only 1 lamb. They are flock animals and need their own kind. Also if you are going to have a lamb that needs nursing they need to huddle up to each other. :)

xx
DEFRA registration

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 18:15
by Honeysuckle
xx
Defra Registration

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 15:44
by joyfull
xx
DEFRA registration

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 11:17
by New shoot

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.