Leaf miner again

• 8 Replies

Beetroot queen

Leaf miner again
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:38 »
We had leaf miner attack our apple tree last year and on advice from GC I burnt all leaves as soon as they dropped off and made sure no-one touched tree and then touched a healthy tree without washing hands

The crop last year looked good but tasted awful so we ended up throwing all the apples as they were so awful tasting (we have had nice apples from tree before)

This year we again have leaf miner but it has also affected the apple tree on the other side of the garden, (this second tree has not produced a single fruit, not sure if that has anything to do with it. ) both trees dont look in the best of health and we are at a loss what to do

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
Re: Leaf miner again
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 20:38 »
Hi
I hesitate to argue with an expert, but I think GC's advice was wrong. It would have worked better if your apple trees had a fungal infection (such as scab) because the fungus overwinters on the dead leaves.

However leaf miner is the laval form of a fly so (by definition) it flies away after hatching....

If you really need to kill it, then take off (and destroy) any leaf as soon as it shows the little white trail of the miner (ie get it before it becomes a fly).

Not sure that your horrid apples have anything to do with leaf miner though....

As far as the other apple tree is concerned, assuming it flowered, the problem is almost certainly pollination. To do something about that you do need to know which trees you have, but if you do, take a look a this guide to pollinating apple trees (http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Apple-Tree-Pollination) which is pretty simple to follow and should sort you out.

Good luck
Good luck
John

tode

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 22:30 »
What apples have you got BQ?
We have a Bramley, which is triploid: needs 3 different trees in flower at same time for pollination to be effective.
Any pictures of fruit?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:25 »
What apples have you got BQ?
We have a Bramley, which is triploid: needs 3 different trees in flower at same time for pollination to be effective.
Any pictures of fruit?

I have a bramley in the garden as well but I didnt realise that you needed 3  :wacko:

we have a katy apple the one with leaf miner and very sour apples, the bramley didnt fruit at all, we have a further two pear trees, not big producers at all, infact we are lucky if we get a pear of them and a plum which is dripping in fruit. When you say about three trees do they all need to be apples, we lost the other two apples.

I think we had some right duff trees  :mellow:

tode

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:24 »
Ah, you've got a little problem then.
The bramley must have two other apple trees in flower at the same time that it flowers, otherwise no fruit (or a few badly-formed ones).
Annd it gets worse  ??? because the bramley by itself wont act as a pollinator for your katy, either (its pollen is sterile).
So you must definitely get a third tree, unless your neighbour has an apple close to yours.
There's a good flowering-time guide here:
http://www.trees-online.co.uk/pages_33.html

The third one doesnt have to be a big tree, but make sure its a good pollinator.

My father told me that the birds-and-bees business was complicated  :D :D :D
Good luck
PS where abouts are you ?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42 »
Ah, you've got a little problem then.
The bramley must have two other apple trees in flower at the same time that it flowers, otherwise no fruit (or a few badly-formed ones).
Annd it gets worse  ??? because the bramley by itself wont act as a pollinator for your katy, either (its pollen is sterile).
So you must definitely get a third tree, unless your neighbour has an apple close to yours.
There's a good flowering-time guide here:
http://www.trees-online.co.uk/pages_33.html

The third one doesnt have to be a big tree, but make sure its a good pollinator.

My father told me that the birds-and-bees business was complicated  :D :D :D
Good luck
PS where abouts are you ?

Somerset a neighbour has an apple about 20 yards away, not sure it flowers at the same time, will have to watch, we do have space for anothet small tree so will have a look at the guide you posted  :)

tode

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:36 »
20 yards should be OK, but when the weathers bad at blossom time, sometimes the bees arent as busy as they should bee.

We had Bramley + Spartan + flowering apple, which was OK, but since weve planted a couple of Coxs we have a lot more on the Bramley.

Forgot to say that the 3rd mustnt be Bramley  ::)
If youre in Somerset, you cant have no apples :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 14:06 »
20 yards should be OK, but when the weathers bad at blossom time, sometimes the bees arent as busy as they should bee.

We had Bramley + Spartan + flowering apple, which was OK, but since weve planted a couple of Coxs we have a lot more on the Bramley.

Forgot to say that the 3rd mustnt be Bramley  ::)
If youre in Somerset, you cant have no apples :lol: :lol: :lol:

we popped into the garden center and spoke to the apple expert and she tried to tell us we needed another bramley at £45 pound, they werent great looking so I left with a packet of carrot seeds instead

Thanks for the help

tode

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:57 »
 I dont bother asking questions at garden centres any more: they usually tell you the first thing that comes in their mind  :(
Over the years I must have spent a fortune in them, and although its tempting to see all the stuff in pots "ready to go", I now make the effort to buy from nurseries.
Stuff is usually cheaper, is certainly stronger, and at least they know what theyre talking about. Can give you good advice.

xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by Leafydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 16:54
by sunshineband
xx
Allium Leaf Miner.

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 11:47
by JayG
xx
Strawberry Leaf Miner?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 21:30
by sunshineband
clip
Allium Leaf Miner

Started by CSChris89 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2023, 09:11
by steven c

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 35 queries.