bees in my compost heap

• 3 Replies

l meyers

bees in my compost heap
« on: May 26, 2013, 19:33 »
We accidentally disturbed what we think are honey bees in one of our compost heaps.  The composter is of the wooden slatted variety (hand built) and having taken the first few layers of plastic off to reveal the soil etc,  can see the exit/entry point the bees appear to be taking, as well as viewing them digging around and disappearing into it all. 

Any ideas on what on earth we do with them? 

grendel

Re: bees in my compost heap
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 20:22 »
probably ground bees, we had some under our rhubarb half barrel, they make a nest in the ground (looks like a papery type of thing) they are very docile, we moved their nest on a spade to a shady spot in the front garden, they only nest in a spot for a year, and move on when the queen flies (our xerox engineer was a beekeeper).some ground nesting bees look very much like bumble bees.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 20:28 »
probably ground bees, we had some under our rhubarb half barrel, they make a nest in the ground (looks like a papery type of thing) they are very docile, we moved their nest on a spade to a shady spot in the front garden, they only nest in a spot for a year, and move on when the queen flies (our xerox engineer was a beekeeper).some ground nesting bees look very much like bumble bees.
Grendel
We had some ground carder bees by the front door last year nesting insome decaying plant debris (I think my mum calls it 'lambs ears' I don't do flowers!).  We spoke to a bee keeper and decided to put up with it as their habitat is diminishing, so we plonked a wire hanging basket over the top and left a sign on it.  All our visitors were fascinated and they all 'left home' in the autumn.  We didn't get stung, and enjoyed watching them forage.

I agree with Grendal though- if you really have to move it put an upturned dustbin over it and slide a piece of card well under the nest.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 22:54 »
I would leave it alone. Bees need all the help they can get. They will leave of their own accord  :)

xx
HUGE bees in my compost heap

Started by goose on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 12:21
by cricketwidow
xx
Bumble bees in the compost bin

Started by Debz on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 11:58
by Robster
xx
My Bees are in

Started by kevinp on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bees

Started by wilbzfishing on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 17:49
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.