On off broodyness

• 4 Replies

SamT

On off broodyness
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:55 »
I have a black pearl who keeps getting broody. Just when we think she's ok she gets broody again. She is still laying eggs we just have to keep turfing her off them. Its been at least once a wk for the last cpl months but we can't seem to break it for good. Any advice?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: On off broodyness
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:40 »
I used to have a hybrid bantam who was the same.  You'd get her off the nest for a week or so and then............. ::)

Don't think there is a permanent cure SamT - some are just worse than others.  At least she's laying you some eggs  :)  Mine used to go on strike all summer. 

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 18:39 »
I have a silkie who is regular as clockwork, she lays for three weeks then goes broody for 6 or 7 weeks. I wouldn't mind so much if the others didn't seem to think "that looks a good idea" and within a couple of weeks they're ALL broody!

gingerplant

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 22:40 »
i was just about to post with a similar  problem... Thought we'd broken our wyandotte bantam's broodiness but she's at it again - weirdly started sitting again the very 1st day after our pekin (whose eggs are v similar) started laying again after hatching her brood. My question (well, my husband's) is, if you just leave them to it on unfertile eggs do they eventually give up after 24 or so days, and if so are then psychologically scarred and unhappy at the failure....?!! ???
she's neurotic enough as it is, don't think i  could face post-natal depression too!

SamT

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 13:39 »
I read somewhere they don't often give up as can take a while before eggs hatch so they gear up for a long stay. They only come off once a day for food and water and a giant foul poo so by staying in there they are depriving themselves. They seem to go into a trance so I clap to get her attention then pick her up and wait for her to put her legs down otherwise she stays on shed floor it can take a few goes before she stands up but once she's with us she runs out sqwarking blue murder for 5mins til she's distracted with something else. And I wear oven gloves cos she pecks when you go to pick her up.

xx
Broodyness

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 18:38
by Vember
xx
First time broodyness

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 14:30
by joyfull
xx
ENCOURAGING BROODYNESS

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 21:34
by too many girls
xx
Laying post-broodyness?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 17:28
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.