Onions

• 6 Replies

Elcie

Onions
« on: March 28, 2009, 15:23 »
Could someone give me some advice please?  I have some onions that I planted in July last year (very small plants from the garden centre) and also some sets that I planted October time.  Both seem to be growing straight up and look like thick spring onions rather than having a bulb at the bottom.  What have I done wrong?

bendufeu

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 15:53 »
Nothing wrong at all.  One day the bulbs will start to swell up and do so quite quickly but the onions will wait till there are a certain number of hours daylight per day until they start to swell.

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 15:55 »
Do you remember which type of onions they were?

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 15:59 »
What bendufeu says, except that the ones left from last July will go to seed this year, not bulb up. OK if you want seed but no use for eating. If they are ok as spring onions maybe you should harvest them now. Mine that got left over are too loose and soft to be any good. (And I don't want seed from them either.) :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 16:12 »
Do you remember which type of onions they were?

To be honest I don't.  The ones from the garden centre didn't have a type and I have the label in the shed at the allotment for the sets I planted recently.

Guess the ones from last year will need to come up - any idea what I can do with soft onions?  Are they any good in a recipe?  Or should they just be binned?

At least it looks like the sets will be ok - thanks for the info, I was worried I had planted them too deep or something!

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 19:34 »
I'd pull them up and use them...i sowed onions last autumn and 2 went to seed last week so I replanted them for seeds for spring onion sized onions and the rest are in the fridge now for salads.

The reason I asked is I've not seen onions from seed in garden centres, particularly not in July....so I thought they might have been welsh onions, which means of course they multiply. And they don't need to come up.

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 21:20 »
I'd pull them up and use them...i sowed onions last autumn and 2 went to seed last week so I replanted them for seeds for spring onion sized onions and the rest are in the fridge now for salads.

The reason I asked is I've not seen onions from seed in garden centres, particularly not in July....so I thought they might have been welsh onions, which means of course they multiply. And they don't need to come up.

I got them in Dobbies last year.  Only got my allotment in July so it was definitely July or very early August that I bought them.  Along with some PSB and brussel sprouts.

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 35 queries.